Just got back from Pearl... 9/14-9/18, 2023

Please contribute Desire Pearl Trip reports here

Re: Just got back from Pearl... 9/14-9/18, 2023

Postby Turk7 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:08 pm

How about the owners of the resort pay the workers a decent salary. The price they charge they can afford to pay their workers a decent salary. It’s an all inclusive resort and each person tips as they see fit.
Turk7
Desire Devotee

We are from: USA
We arrive on: 30 Jun 2021

Postby Sun Set » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:57 pm

I travel extensively and a lot in Mex and Central America. On a trip to Rotan a few of us were really happy with the service so we tipped the normal American tip for the service. Two days later the manager approached us and asked if we knew the exchange rate. We that was an interesting question. He explained at that time the exchange was 45 to 1. In their culture they live pay check to paycheck and his staff took the week off. Do the math we tipped a months wages!!! The poor manager had to do 3 peoples job for the week until they returned. So I try to keep that in mind when I tip. I believe everyone going above and beyond should be rewarded. BTW a lot of all inclusive resorts reward their people by their on line comments so one of the best tip/reward you can give is to post about the staff.
So I always try to keep
Sun Set

Will be at: Desire Pearl

Postby Luv2bnude » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:25 am

BBTD wrote:
Seeking thesis wrote: They have this in place in all of the Couples Resorts in Jamaica and it works perfectly well. The only problems occur when some Americans, who are well aware of the non tipping policy, try to force the staff to accept tips which create embarrassing situations as the employees can be dismissed for accepting them.

Not sure what your experience is with the Couples resorts in Jamaica, but the policy doesn’t work perfectly well as you suggest. Guests discreetly tip many of the high-performing staff members at all of the Couples locations. Have you bothered to research or donate to any of the foundations in Jamaica that assist in providing a living wage and support Jamaicans working in the hospitality industry?

Additionally, what a lazy assessment about who is to blame for tipping in the Couples resorts! Guests from all over the world tip the staff against resort policy.

-BBTD

Been to couples 12 trips and we occasionally and very discreetly tip a few staff each trip but I’ve over dinner with the GM have been reminded never to tip employees. So tipping is the exception not the rule there.
Kik Vitromartis
Luv2bnude
Desire Lover

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 07 Jan 2021

Previous

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Pearl