Trip Report: Birthday Blowout Sept 29-Oct 4. 2023

Please contribute Desire Pearl Trip reports here

Trip Report: Birthday Blowout Sept 29-Oct 4. 2023

Postby tj71903 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:51 pm

We returned to Pearl last week to celebrate the wife's birthday for the first time in a few years. It was the second time in less than a month for us, but the last time until the end of the year as the world has been open and there's more places to see.

This time it was just a five night visit, but it turned out to be one of the more entertaining visits we've had as the crowd was terrific and the resort and staff really made her feel the love.

Given the recency bias, not a whole lot has changed with the logistics travel. We always arrive on the same flight around lunch time and then had to customs which was pretty empty this time. We walked through in five minutes before waiting on the bags for 30 minutes. No issues walking out past the security guards and past the rental car/tour scrums.

In the past I've been critical of the way USA Transfer has handled things. We've had many times where the front end logistics simply weren't acceptable as we arrived (after providing information well in advance of the travel day) and then were forced to wait for far too long for the car. We've mentioned it several times in the reviews and were expecting something similar this time, but....it was not to be. Instead USA's agents were easy to find (still in the very back of the crowd near the cars) and before we could finish saying hello, they welcomed her by name and said the car was ready. Immediately we grabbed the bags and headed to the waiting car. It was both impressive and, frankly, what we expect given the high level of service we continue to experience at Desire. After we got to the car it was a 25 minute or so drive with no real traffic or speak of. The driver was fun, engaging, and got us there safely.

Check-in was quick and immediately headed to our room which had been decorated with balloons, flowers, etc for her birthday.

The daily schedule for us remains the same in terms of where we end up and what we do. Wake up early and catch-up on work, emails, etc. Then head to breakfast (either at Aphrodite or the mansion) before taking a walk around the resort - usually a few laps around the various paths and then up to the lobby bar to down the first waters of the day and to say hello/good morning to the staff in the lobby. Following that it's back to the room for a bit before heading to the chairs at the pool.

After we get settled with chairs, towels, and umbrellas we find one of the pool attendants does the appearing act to fill the cups (ice water). Then it's time to play beach volleyball, following by - occasionally - sports. This trip there wasn't a ton of participation on the beach (only one game in five days), but we did get to play football and basketball in the pool. On the other day the wife participated in the pool pole dance class which was fun for her and visually fun for me (I'm a simple creature).

Following the morning activities we generally head to the mansion for lunch though this time we did order pool side food twice as it wasn't oppressively hot. Following lunch we generally alternate between interludes in the room and hanging in the pool chairs chatting and just soaking up the atmosphere before pool volleyball starts at 3:30. On this trip I think we played three times and had a good time doing it. There wasn't a huge demand so the most we ever saw was six on six which is a perfect amount given the space limitations. Once that's done we head back to the room instead of heading to the hot tub to spend some time before dinner at 7:30.

On this trip we ate a Suki once, the mansion once, and Pearl twice. The last night we just did room service so that we could pack up. Suki's addition of the yakimeshi dishes is still our favorite. It's clean, it's flavorful, and it's not overly heavy. At Pearl we had the Italian and the French menus and preferred the former, though the latter was very good. The staff was exceedingly kind to do the birthday celebration for her on her birthday night. Little cake and a disproportionately huge sparkler/candle thing. The mansion dinner was our favorite as the chef made us authentic Mexican cuisine complete with hot churros for dessert with three dipping sauces. We loved this night as when we travel we love trying the local cuisine and this was fantastic.

The night times were a lot of fun as well. Our old favorite, neon night, was fun with the black lights and neon paint along with a DJ who kept the environment going. The disco show that night is the African acrobatic group who is terrific. The next night was a live band and then a dance show in the disco for Latin night. Monday night was white night which was better this time, but they still do that human dessert thing which is just CREEPY. On Tuesday night, Pirate night, we had a good time with the live band and then another dance group. On Sunday night, dungeon night, there was a special event at the pool which had five shows that included a jetpack, fire performers, two dance routines, and a live band. We very much enjoyed her birthday on this evening and I think everyone in attendance also had a good time. After the party there was an after-party in the hot tub in which a DJ was installed and it had the hot tub hopping more than any time I can remember. Plenty of dancing, partying, and a lot of action on the various channels as well. All happening concurrently and until around 2 AM. Just a really fun environment.

As for the overall crowd, it was a great group with a very good energy. We actually met several first time couples who we befriended and who we hope to see back at some time in the future.

On our final day it was a very simple process. We had a 2 PM flight and were picked up at 11:15. Throw the bags in the car and then 25 minutes to the airport and through customs quickly once again in time to sit around at Jimmy Buffet's before boarding and heading back to Atlanta and then onward to home.

Can't wait to come back for New Year's, even though seems like quite a long time to wait.
tj71903
Desire Superstar

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 26 Dec 2020

Re: Trip Report: Birthday Blowout Sept 29-Oct 4. 2023

Postby Cheers2US » Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:11 pm

Glad you had a great time. I've never seen a DJ at the jacuzzi!

By "human dessert", do you mean a lady lies on a table and gets covered in fruit, pastries & whipped cream? If so, we thought that was pretty cool, actually. We had only seen it one time and we've been kind of bummed that we never saw it again.

I know most people here are loyal to USA Transfers. We've used them in the past and they were fine. We've also used Canada Transfers and Sarmez, both also with great success. We've used Sarmez on the past 4 trips and we've never had to wait for the driver.
A mix of nervousness + excitement
Cheers2US
Desire Superstar

Will be at:  
We arrive on: 03 Jan 2024
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby tj71903 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:53 pm

Cheers2US wrote:Glad you had a great time. I've never seen a DJ at the jacuzzi!

By "human dessert", do you mean a lady lies on a table and gets covered in fruit, pastries & whipped cream? If so, we thought that was pretty cool, actually. We had only seen it one time and we've been kind of bummed that we never saw it again.

I know most people here are loyal to USA Transfers. We've used them in the past and they were fine. We've also used Canada Transfers and Sarmez, both also with great success. We've used Sarmez on the past 4 trips and we've never had to wait for the driver.

Yes, that's the one (dessert thing). Reminds me forcibly of the scene in 300 when the oracle is set upon by the creepy old guys. Same thing here. Just not my cup of tea.

Agree on USA, it's part of the contract so we generally go with them and, as I said, they were terrific this time.
tj71903
Desire Superstar

Postby nokidclub » Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:14 pm

The DJ at the hot tub was part of the Hellions takeover.
Nokidclub on Kasidie, SLS, kik
nokidclub
Desire Legend

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 31 Aug 2024
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie SLS

Postby tj71903 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:53 am

nokidclub wrote:The DJ at the hot tub was part of the Hellions takeover.

Not on the 1st he wasn't. It was part of the party.
tj71903
Desire Superstar

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Pearl