First timers trip report March 1st-7th, 2013

Please contribute Desire Pearl Trip reports here

Re: First timers trip report March 1st-7th, 2013

Postby heavyG » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:08 pm

Hey Caregiver0

We were there at the same time as you (March 2nd - 10th) and would agree that the music at the disco was pretty bad. As the disco started to clear out the DJ would increase the volume, making even more people leave. The music was so loud in the playroom you couldn't hear your partner.
Music by the pool was similar - and made worse by the fact that everyday it was the same playlist, in the same order… Couldn't understand why they couldn't have a different playlist / C.D. / Mixed tape / iPod shuffle for each day or every other day? Same thing over and over was horrible.

As for age? We're 43 & 45 and had no trouble finding more than enough people 'our age' to interact and play with. We would estimate that most of the crowd was in the 40 year old range. On one night a 25 year old whispered in my wife's ear that we were invited to a party in the penthouse - 8 other couples and we were the oldest by at least 15 years. Maybe all the young ones were hiding?

Caregiver0 Did we cross your path?

G.
Will you be there at the same time as us? Don't be afraid to say Hi!
On CD as: heavyG
heavyG
Desire Addict

We are from: Canada
Will be at: Desire Pearl
Swing Site(s) we belong to: CD, as: heavyG

Postby heavyG » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:11 pm

We also just wrote a very long letter to the management about the food - Probably the one reason we wouldn't return.
heavyG
Desire Addict

Postby neatfeet » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:45 pm

Can you elaborate about the food issues?
neatfeet
Desire Addict

We are from: USA
We arrive on: 06 Dec 2019

Postby heavyG » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:02 pm

neatfeet wrote:Can you elaborate about the food issues?

Repetitive menu, 2-3 nights in row with the same dishes. inconsistencies between the menu and what arrives - Like a Roquefort steak that had no roquefort, (plus other such missing ingredients / substitutions) and then waitstaff / manager who couldn't understand what our problem was.
Mashed potatoes made from dried potato flakes; I mean really? The food from the tepanyaki grill on 'sushi' night was inedible dross. Moroccan chicken that had no flavour and was drier than the desert from which it sprang.

The bright spot is that our steaks were cooked to perfection - and that's usually where a restaurant falls down; so go figure.

People wax poetic about the pizza… worst I've ever eaten. The crust is laughable, and the sauce is pathetic.
Every-night we ate with different couples / groups of couples, and every-night there would only be 1 or 2 people at the table who marginally enjoyed their meals.

Overall the food is not up to the level of what you'd expect from a resort that charges this much. We've taken last minute trips to an all inclusive resort in Cuba, where the whole week costs less than one night at Pearl, and the food was 20x better.

So it's serviceable, but no where near as good as it needs to be. It has however gotten better than the first time we were there last September, sort of.
heavyG
Desire Addict

Postby candtdesire07 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:08 pm

Thanks for the report. We are starting to wonder if we should look into switching back to RM.
candtdesire07
Desire Devotee

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 26 Jun 2017
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby heavyG » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:27 pm

candtdesire07 wrote:Thanks for the report. We are starting to wonder if we should look into switching back to RM.

Never been to Desire RM - but the people who enjoyed the food, seemed to think it was on par with that resort. They just missed that there was more choice at the other resort.

I guess it's all personal taste?
heavyG
Desire Addict

Postby candtdesire07 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:38 pm

Good to know. The food at RM is decent but we go to Desire for the atmosphere & for what other resorts can't offer. :D
candtdesire07
Desire Devotee

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 26 Jun 2017
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby heavyG » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:45 pm

candtdesire07 wrote:Good to know. The food at RM is decent but we go to Desire for the atmosphere & for what other resorts can't offer. :D

Exactly - but we also believe that food is one part (large part) of the sensual experience.
heavyG
Desire Addict

Postby Bcfncrf » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:45 pm

This food issue is a big concern for us. From what I've read, we can request what we want. Is that accurate? Or do I need to go back in the kitchen and cook for my wife and I?
Bcfncrf

We arrive on: 13 Mar 2013

Postby jolesw » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:08 am

We were at RM last week in February and met at least 3-4 couples that either were staying at Pearl or visited Pearl that said the resort seems to shut down early....disco empties early and just not as much night life as RM. We are in our 30's and have been to RM 5x, this trip was by far the youngest group...but with a good mixture of ages. It really is just a crap shoot, we went in October one time and it was much much older. As to the food I cant speak for Pearl but my husband and I never have an issue with finding good things to eat at every meal.
jolesw
Desire Fan

Postby GrandRapidscpl » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:14 pm

I don't know if I'm way off base with this but we were thinking about switching resorts after reading a couple reviews like this but then we went back and read all the reviews for desire rm also and found the same reviews it seemed like he one common thing was that the reviews about dead vibe and 60+ avg age ect were always during the middle of winter when there were no takeovers. We're on the really young side (28/28) and have to wait untill June to go because of work kids ect where as the old population who doesn't have these responsibilities can travel during the cold winter months. I think it truly all depends on what week you go but haven't seen as many age vibe complaints in may June July as I do in jan feb and march.
GrandRapidscpl
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 22 Jun 2013

Postby jolesw » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:59 pm

You really need to watch how you phrase things " the old population"....like I said we are in our 30's, also have small kids and lots of responsibilities. We have been in Feb, March, April and October ....we don't go in the summer because its seems silly to go to warm weather and a pool when we have that in our backyard at that time....but to each their own. Desire is a wonderful place that is unlike anything else we have ever experienced ...but a lot of that has to do with the unbelievable people of all ages and the friendships u form. If all u are concerned about is age and have an issue with that then maybe Desire isn't for you and u should try temptations, since that seems like a "young" crowd!!
jolesw
Desire Fan

Postby GrandRapidscpl » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:49 pm

I'm sorry but Im referring to the original post talking about an avg age of 60 to 65+ sorry that me saying that is an old crowd offends you but it is. And I didn't say that all young people travel in the summer I'm simpley stating that summer is an easier time for many people to get away for a week when their younger and in the beginning of career and family( NOT ALL) . Personally we chose desire pearl knowing we will be a lot younger , we don't care , we just worry about feeling way out of place if we are 30 years younger than everyone which is a common worry among many newbies our age after reading reviews like this one. P.s.any previous post were not aimed specifically at you so I don't feel there was no need to suggest we go somewhere else were perfectly happy with our decision and can't wait to meet guest of ALL ages......relax
GrandRapidscpl
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 22 Jun 2013

Postby ClassNSass » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Folks, you've read it plenty of times....don't overthink. You'll ruin the vibe for yourself and others. The fact is, once you go, you'll kick yourselves for worrying about age. There are all ages at Desire, Temptations, Hedo, et al. The statistical distribution of ages of guests on any given day, week, month, year is just that...statistics. Go enjoy the place and the people. If you are at least minimally socially well-adjusted, you'll have a great time with all.

My wife is 63...looks 43...acts 33. She still turns virtually everyones head, can out-dance 75% of any age, and can "out-sex" 99% of all women (without the need for artificial lubrication). I, on the other hand, am 58, look 65, physically feel like 75, but am still a stud when it comes to keeping up with my wife's libido. We've made good, lasting friendships with people older than us, the same age, and as young as twenty-somethings. Relax and enjoy.
ClassNSass
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 19 Jul 2013

Postby Johnny60 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:45 am

ClassNSass wrote:Folks, you've read it plenty of times....don't overthink. You'll ruin the vibe for yourself and others. The fact is, once you go, you'll kick yourselves for worrying about age. There are all ages at Desire, Temptations, Hedo, et al. The statistical distribution of ages of guests on any given day, week, month, year is just that...statistics. Go enjoy the place and the people. If you are at least minimally socially well-adjusted, you'll have a great time with all.

My wife is 63...looks 43...acts 33. She still turns virtually everyones head, can out-dance 75% of any age, and can "out-sex" 99% of all women (without the need for artificial lubrication). I, on the other hand, am 58, look 65, physically feel like 75, but am still a stud when it comes to keeping up with my wife's libido. We've made good, lasting friendships with people older than us, the same age, and as young as twenty-somethings. Relax and enjoy.

ClassNSass.. like your style.. and humour.. hope we bump into you guys sometime!
Johnny60

PreviousNext

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Pearl