A very comprehensive triip report: Late March 2014

Please contribute Desire Pearl Trip reports here

A very comprehensive triip report: Late March 2014

Postby rsm » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:22 pm

Well here goes. I want to cover a lot of territory for newbies, but also evoke some thoughts from veterans of Desire, all locations.

My Perspective:
    So you know where I'm coming from.... I discovered DRM in the mid 2000's with my wife at the time. We traveled there many times pre and post the 2006 hurricane. Loved the place. But with our divorce in 2008, I had no plans of ever seeing Desire again. Met my current partner/hopefully someday wife, nearly four years ago. Started suggesting a vacation at a clothing optional place a year ago. But I knew I didn't want to head to DRM because that would only bring up images of me with my ex. Pearl became the fortunate choice.

As it turned out, she fell in love with DP. We had a fabulous time [see below] and will return later this year.

So all my comments come from someone who returns thoroughly pleased with our vacation in the DP paradise.

But that said....my comments that follow will be spot on as to what I think is the good, bad and ugly.

Final thought. We are not into the lifestyle life. But are very into the PDS and voyeurism fun available at a resort like DP.
    I can't imagine finding a better environment for that anywhere else.
Booking:
    I did it through the Desire website. Offered the discounts for March 2014 (Fourth night free). But if you're looking for the best possible rate for your trip, you have to search around.
Transport to DP:
    We used the Desire sponsored TransBeach. Big mistake!!! $ 95 US for round trip, plus tip. When we arrived at CUN airport, we were instructed to make our way through the huge crowd of hucksters selling transportation and to look for a guy with a sign with our name. Hit and miss, found the guy without our name --- but numerous other company reps directed us the ONE guy there from TransBeach. He had another couple for DP in tow and said we'd be off in two or three minutes. Over forty minutes later, the van arrived to pick us up . Tipping: the other couple tipped the airport greeter $10 at the outset. Then tipped the van driver when he finally arrived to load the van. My feeling was that TransBeach had screwed up the entire airport arrival. I gave the greeter nothing but tipped the driver $10 for handling the bags upon arrival.

USA Transport had been highly recommended by others on these forums. They had a presence at CUN of at least 4 to 1. Next time I'll use them.

Final thought on transport... for our return to the airport, I totally screwed up. I gave the guy from TransBeach, while waiting to get to DP, a departure time of 3:30pm. But that was actually our scheduled arrival time in Dallas. Monday AM about 9am we were packing, expecting a 1pm pickup for the airport when I discovered our flight would leave at 11:30 AM. My mistake. TransBeach responded that it could pick us up in an hour.

We opted to take a cab that was already outside the DP door. Guess what? $45 fee to the airport plus tip. Same as a TransBeach Van. And it was there and waiting without prior notice.
Greeting At Hotel:

[I intend to cover every aspect of experencing Desire. But cant be in one night .

The rooms. The restaurant,. the spa the disco themes, the jacuuzi, the extras. So TBC.]

So until tomorrow.... I'''ll continue
rsm
Desire Devotee

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 24 Jun 2015

Re: A very comprehensive triip report: Late March 2014

Postby tan44 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:01 pm

Thank you.
Great beginning with helpful details.
Got our attention.
Kik : cancunx
tan44
Desire Addict

We are from: Canada

Postby rykerw1701 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:57 pm

Looking forward to reading more of this kind of detail
rykerw1701
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 0- 8-2016

Postby CokeMann » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:23 pm

rsm wrote: Tipping: the other couple tipped the airport greeter $10 at the outset. Then tipped the van driver when he finally arrived to load the van. My feeling was that TransBeach had screwed up the entire airport arrival. I gave the greeter nothing but tipped the driver $10 for handling the bags upon arrival

Not so great service if you paid for a private(just the two of you) transfer.

Just a FYI -- normal tip amounts for a transport "greeter/baggage loader" is about $2 USD per person - "if" they are prompt/pleasant and get your ride ASAP. As to the transport driver a more normal tip amount is about $5 USD per couple
CokeMann
Site Admin

Postby Al & Kim » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:24 pm

Thanks Cokeman. I was starting to feel like a cheapskate. We have always tipped about the same that you suggest. Most times over tipping does not benefit you at all. I want to be fair but I work hard for my money too.
Al & Kim
Desire Devotee

Will be at:  
We arrive on: 13 Dec 2023

Postby J&K » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:24 pm

Looking forward to the rest :)
Returning to RM 4/9/22 to 4/15/22. Can’t wait!
J&K
Desire Addict

Will be at:  
We arrive on: 01 Apr 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby Hector » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:44 pm

Received an offer from DP for hotel transfer from airport for USD95 round trip just yesterday. Didn't know it was not hotel car but operated by Transbeach. Haven't respond yet.
Hector
Desire Devotee

Postby CokeMann » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:34 pm

Hector wrote:Received an offer from DP for hotel transfer from airport for USD95 round trip just yesterday. Didn't know it was not hotel car but operated by Transbeach. Haven't respond yet.

USA Transfers - best price - best service - It's $69 round trip to Desire Pearl LINK HERE
CokeMann
Site Admin

Postby miranda2 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:41 am

Great start to what we know will be a wonderful, informative trip report! We, too, have almost always had that same type of 'welcome' when we arrive at the CUN airport and try and find our pre-arranged shuttle. When we finally find the Transbeach Transfer's rep, we usually have to stand around and wait at least 1/2 hour (sometimes longer) for them all to find\arrange a van that will take us to our resort, whether it's Pearl or RM.
miranda2
Desire Legend

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 26 Sep 2018

Postby BTR » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:18 am

We were at Pearl in early March. USA Transfers met us immediatley outside the door of the building (just as advertised). We were immediately walked to our buss and left immediately. We had no problem and will definitely use them again.
Pearl - March 2014, January 2015, March 2016
BTR
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 03 Mar 2014

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Pearl