Trip Report June 3-10, 2014

Please contribute Desire Pearl Trip reports here

Trip Report June 3-10, 2014

Postby bsakatm12 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:30 pm

We were at Desire Pearl 6-03-14 to 6-10-14 (Tuesday-Tuesday). This was one of our best vacations, ever. This was our third trip to Pearl. We used Castaways Travel to book the trip. Castaways has always provided us with responsive, knowledgeable service. They provided transfers to the resort via Lomas, with whom I’ve also been very pleased. Their staff had our arrival information and they were waiting for us.

At the front desk, we were offered the Lovers Upgrade. I heard “ground floor master suite” and I accepted the offer. It was worth the extra money to be able to step out on the patio early in the morning and take a short walk to the beach. The lounge bed on the patio was also a nice place to spend a few quite moments together before dinner with the palms leaves rustling in the breeze.

When we checked in, during a “while we are waiting” moment, we were offered a coupon booklet that contained discounts to several goodies. I had my suspicions, even though it was not stated, that this was part of a sales pitch for the membership program and I declined. We heard from other quests during the week that found out the hard way that accepting the coupons implied an acceptance of an appointment to hear the loyalty program sales pitch. When they (the guests) declined the meeting, they were asked to return the coupons. I love both Desire resorts, partly because they run a classy operation. This semi-deceptive practice is really out of character for this resort and I wish they would stop it. I understand that a membership or loyalty program is good marketing for the resorts, but please be completely honest about it.

On our last trip to Pearl, the Aphrodite restaurant was being remodeled. The new and improved Aphrodite was a pleasant surprise. The glass wall allows the beach and the ocean to be a part of your dining atmosphere while still providing a little control over the climate so you don’t have the wind blowing your food away or the mosquitoes using your ankles as their main course. It will be even more important in July and August when the air conditioning is a welcome luxury.

The food and the service at the Aphrodite blew us away. Jose and his staff are to be commended. On two occasions, we were greeted with exotic tequila shots that were sensual surprises. If you get offered a cucumber-habanera tequila shot, try it. There was fresh fish, tender beef and pork, delightful soups, and teasing little desserts all week.

The breakfast and lunch buffets at Aphrodite were kept fresh and appetizing. You can order from the grill for either meal as well. “Dos huevos, volteado, tiernos” was part of my Spanish lesson for this trip.

We ate dinner twice at the Pearl. The good was good, but not as good as it was at Aphrodite. They’re trying to make the atmosphere at the Pearl more erotic and sensual, but for me, it somehow misses. Perhaps mannequin legs sticking out of the wall just aren’t my thing. But, as a wise man said during this trip, “We all like different things.”

Poolside drink service was perfect - attentive without being intrusive. The sky was cloudy the first four days, so the pool water temperature was a little cool. They had quite a bit if rain the prior week, which resulted in an algae bloom in the pool. They treated it and cleared it pretty quickly, though. If you’ve never been to Pearl, the layout of the pool is one of its strong points. The pool is elongated so it’s possible for part of the crowd to be social and active on one end while the other end remains tranquil for those that want to read and nap and have quiet conversations. It’s easy to walk through the water from the quite end, getting a little exercise along the way, to the bar for a drink, visit a little while, and back to the quite end for a nap. It’s not a bad way to spend the day.

The other strong point about Pearl is the hot tub and happy hour. With its swim-up bar are large size and layout, it is a great social focal point. The water temperature was a little too high on a couple of afternoons during our week and it was too cool one day. I think the overnight rains were causing the difficulties. It was not so bad that we didn’t enjoy it, though. There was a variety of activities in and around the hot tub during the week, from discreet and subtle to bold and brazen. Use your imagination. If you’re reading this and thinking, “No way! That’s not for us. We’re not into that,” don’t let it stop from enjoying a very nice resort. Happy hour would be a great time to go for walk on the beach with your partner or sit on the beach holding hands.

The facilities and the grounds are being kept in top shape. I saw repair men fixing broken tiles and refreshing guest rooms. Don’t underestimate this. We’re veteran naked vacationers and we’ve watched other resorts slip into state of general disrepair from which they never recovered. It started when they stopped repairing the little things. I’m happy to see that Desire Pearl is not falling into that trap.

The bartenders at all of the bars were terrific. They stock a decent selection of liquors and the bartenders seem to be pretty knowledgeable about mixing drinks. We’re not wine experts, but some of the other quests we met were and they told us the house wines were at least drinkable. They had Grey Goose when Sondra wanted a dirty martini and they had Bohemia when I wanted a dark beer.

We didn’t get involved in the evening entertainment much. There were some live bands a few nights and a DJ playing videos a couple of nights. We’ve kind of “been there-done that” and we like to spend that time either alone together or with new friends. The entertainment staff was active, energetic, and involved, so if you’re looking to get into the themes and contests, it was easy to do. They also led exercise classes and dance lessons at the pool during the day.

I’m saving the best for last. This trip, like most, is all about the people we met. Sondra commented early in the trip that she was pleased with the variety of quests. There were folks from all age groups, from 20s-70s, and from all over the world. We met couples that were friendly, funny, open-minded, flirty, respectful, and overall a lot of fun.

We’re in our 50s and we’re not the most attractive or social couple in the world. We spent a lot of time alone together during this trip because that’s just our thing. But, when we did mingle with other couples, we had a blast. I won’t name names out of respect for privacy, but if we met you during this trip, thanks for the memories and the dances and the smiles and the hugs.

Byron and Sondra
bsakatm12
Desire Fan

Re: Trip Report June 3-10, 2014

Postby bb25 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:11 pm

We were at Pearl a few days ahead of you and have to say your report could have been written by us! Rain did cool the pool and and hot tub but we manage to not let that put a damper on the wonder hours spent there!

Thanks for highlighting the highlights!!
bb25
Desire Lover

We are from: USA

Postby phillycouple621 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:21 pm

Thanks for the great report. I am curious about the "upgrade" you mention. What was your original room? How much was the difference? what were the differences in the rooms? Thanks.
phillycouple621

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 01 Aug 2017

Postby bsakatm12 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:49 am

We booked a Junior Suite. The upgrade was called the "Lover's Upgrade". For $600, you got an update to a Master Suite, a lobster dinner, and two 50-minute Relaxing Massages. My ears perked up when they said there was a ground floor Master Suite available.
bsakatm12
Desire Fan

Postby Budlee » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:59 am

Thanks for writing your report. Our time at Peal overlapped (we were there May 31-June 8), so our experiences were similar. I also posted a review as well, and mentioned the pool issue that reached its critical level on the 7th.... it was unfortunate that they didn't address it earlier. I didn't realize the entertainment crew was new... or did new staff come on for your last few days, after we left?
Budlee
Desire Addict

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 31 May 2014
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS, FetLife, Flickr

Postby Luckman » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:38 pm

Could you tell us if there are any tables outside at Aphrodite Restaurant for breakfast, lunch, or dinner?

Thanks,
Luckman :D
Luckman
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 06 May 2024

Postby bsakatm12 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:47 pm

There we're no outdoor tables at Aphrodite. On the porch between he glass wall and the beach, there were two sets of lounge chairs that would be great for sitting before or after dinner drinks.
bsakatm12
Desire Fan

Postby Luckman » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:55 pm

Thanks for the information. To bad about no outdoor tables, we enjoyed them at breakfast last summer.

Luckman :US
Luckman
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 06 May 2024

Postby Budlee » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:34 am

I agree... I missed outdoor dining. This was our first time to Pearl, but also the first time to a resort where there wasn't an open air dining option. Aphrodite is spacious and bright, but it's not the same. That being said, on the one day that they had the lunchtime grill going, we sat at one of the lounge-sofa-chair-table sets on the patio, and our waiter came outside to take a drink order. I'm sure we could have ordered off the menu, as well.
Budlee
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 31 May 2014
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS, FetLife, Flickr

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Pearl