Newbie Trip Report: Dec 1-Dec 5, 2014

Please contribute Desire Pearl Trip reports here

Re: Newbie Trip Report: Dec 1-Dec 5, 2014

Postby BeantownNewbs » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:13 pm

Beach girl wrote:The rooms are very nice, not the Four Seasons but very nice. You can't always control the height of the trees hence blocking your view. The food is very good and most enjoyable. Maybe not what you'd find at a 5 Star restaurant in NYC but very good. Never had a problem finding a chair. The wine is okay, not great but okay. I agree they should upgrade their wine or lower the ridiculous price they charge. With all that being said we don't go for the food or the wine or the room that we spend very little time in. We are not in the lifestyle. However, we go for the fun and sexy vibe and great people. Which is what you'll find! Quite sure most will agree with me. Don't hesitate, make the trip and have fun.

I agree with beach girl: the rooms are nice and not Four Seasons. I don't agree that a non ocean view is not an ocean view: Room 28 is a terrible Master Suite and if they don't adjust the trees, they should just lower the price to compensate. My bigger point was about making no effort to even review and attempt to satisfy our advance requests.

We don't agree with beachgirl about the quality of the food. food quality is very subjective, but you know it when you eat it. Many people agreed with us that the food was decent but not great, but it was a sacrifice they were fine with making.

I totally agree with beachgirl that people go for the fun and sexy vibe and great people. Which is what you'll find! Quite sure most will agree with her and we do as well, and I encourage you too to not hesitate, make the trip and have fun!
No Te Salves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zyrcHSQdVQ
BeantownNewbs
Desire Devotee

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 01 Dec 2014

Postby BeantownNewbs » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:30 pm

mrstommer wrote:While I appreciate your report, I beg to differ with your review. It is unfortunate that you did not find the food and wine offerings to be sublime, which they certainly are, by many accounts. At least, you did comprehend how hard the staff work to make us happy while we are their guests. They make many of us feel like we are 'home', or as we wish our home could be.

We all need to remember that patience is a virtue, and to wait 15 minutes for something isn't really that long, after all, we are alive and well, and whether on our way to Desire, or are waiting for dinner to be excellently prepared, we are in one of the most lovely beaches and resorts around Cancun. IF your tastes are more exclusive and upper crust, than I hope you find your place. For many of us, this is a most divine place.

Cheers!

I guess I feel a little nicer and a little better execution would be a better result for us, and I would pay more for a superior culinary and wine experience, let alone better linens, feather pillows, etc.

Obviously, we didn't find the food remotely "sublime"...But I am glad that you did...food quality is a personal opinion, but our experience was generally validated by others we spoke with at the resort and "sublime" or "wow" was not in most peoples' vocab. Frankly, the Caribbean lobster, simply grilled and presented with butter and garlic sauce on the side, is awesome for $40, and I would have probably ordered it every night. That just shows I probably would pay $100 night for a better quality experience, I realize many others wouldn't. When you add it a $40 lobster and $50 bottle wine....you're there. IMO, simplicity beats out complexity on the food front here. They are trying hard: the presentations and recipes show it..they just aren't executing on the food front. That's our opinion. The staff is great and I have gone out of my way to praise them: Jen, Vince, JJ, Victor in the restaurant, Victor by the pool...don't want to leave anyone out.

We had a wonderful time. There's a higher level of execution which I wish occurred and for which I would pay a premium (and some of the things could little to nothing to change). I feel some people feel we don't have a right to express an opinion or say anything critical, let alone in the context of a very positive experience. I am not challenging you and I think I have acknowledged that most people are happy with Desire as it is. I am sharing our experience and spent a considerable amount of time providing a fair and well balanced, positive account of our trip.
BeantownNewbs
Desire Devotee

Postby TandD » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:11 am

BeantownNewbs wrote:
feverpair wrote:Obviously, we are all entitled to an opinion, and no opinion is right or wrong, but when looking forward to what most would say is a great place to visit, even one negative review will un nerve those yet to visit.

You should absolutely go and look forward to it! It is an amazing and unique experience. I am surprised you think this is a negative review? It's an overall highly positive review in spite of some negative and some disappointing experiences.

FWIW, I took the review as - "We really loved it and recommend that you go. That said, here are some thoughts we had around making it better - for *us*".

I view that as a positive review along with some things for Desire to think about to make it even better if they want to address a more specific market. But, as you've seen, as soon as you mention something you didn't like or would change, it can color the whole review as negative. I think it's human nature to be overly swayed by a negative even in the face of abundant positives. It's ironic that when one tries to describe the details of their improvement suggestions, the sheer volume of that ink drowns out the "We had a blast and would do it again" overall message you are starting with.

I would encourage anyone who might be negatively swayed by this review to really go over it and see if the "negative" items really apply to you. For example, we *did* have an ocean view and furniture on the porch. Know how many times we used it? - none. We were barely in our room. Frankly, I think I would have preferred a room overlooking the hot tub so I could look down and gauge the crowd (or maybe give them a show...). Yeah, if you requested an ocean view and didn't get it, it can be disappointing but *everybody* wants the best rooms so somebody is going to not get what they wanted. Some people will complain and get helped, and some people will just roll with it. They (Desire) know this.

Food tastes are so subjective you can't really put a whole lot of stock in one persons opinion. If you read this board collectively, you'll find that *most* people find the food good to very good. Some people have different expectations. Where you are on that particular scale is very difficult to tell so unless large numbers of people are giving thumbs down, you are probably going to be okay.

It *is* a tough decision to shell out a lot of money for this place and risk disappointment but if you even have the inkling to try this kind of place at all, you really owe it to yourselves to try it. Face it, you are always going to be wondering what it's like and you ain't getting any younger. In the grand scheme of things, the money delta between this place and another "safer" place isn't that great and you get to put another checkmark on your bucket list.

The real danger is that after you come once, you have to keep coming (so to speak)...
TandD
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 06 Jun 2019

Postby BeantownNewbs » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:03 pm

I think the bottom line is that we would go back.

Most of the rest of the items are preferences and I'm actually saying I would pay more if some things were improved, and I basically did. I brought my own wine, I ordered from the supplemental food menu. I paid for a master suite vs a standard deluxe room. And I did use the pool, but I think the Desire experience would be better if the pool was warmer and more people were socializing in it throughout the day, vs. just the jacuzzi in late afternoon and evening. I was at a Sandals a long time ago (I didn't like the quality of the food there either), and recall that people spent hours upon hours mingling in the warm pool. I was also at Temptation in the summer when it was 95 degrees out and the pool was very warm naturally, and the experience was similar: many people were hanging out in the pool vs. only a handful at any given time at DP last week. But in the end, Desire has the jacuzzi for that...

Otherwise, I recommend:

1. Substantially lowering the wine markup and treating the supplemental beverage menu as an amenity, trying to cover your costs and maybe add in a small margin vs trying to make it a significant profit center (which doesn't seem to be working, because with these prices, most people are not ordering from it);

2. Hire a better executive chef;

3. Upgrade the linens, pillows, and bathrobes; and

4. Make a better attempt to accommodate people's room requests, recognizing that members have priority and you may have to bump/juggle people from their original requests -- but currently, as generally acknowledged, they basically don't even read them until you arrive or possibly the night before when it's too late to do much about it if the resort is at high occupancy. I think people have a wide variety of preferences: some like ground floor rooms and some like upper floors with better views; some like the more remote buildings in the 70s and some prefer to be closer the the center; and some prefer a jacuzzi view to an ocean view. So, if you make more of an effort to accommodate people's advance requests, I bet most people would find their preferences will be generally met. My two cents on that. Airlines pre-assign seats according to priority. Cruises pre-assign rooms. This isn't rocket science. I would be fine if they gave members and extra week to pre-select their rooms, or even if they called or emailed and said: "we originally blocked room "x" for you but that room has been requested by a member, so we now have rooms a, b, and c for you...which one would you like?" Or, if they did this w/o calling me, taking into account my previously expressed preferences. As indicated previously, many people have the attitude that they don't spend much time in their rooms and really don't care. Others do care. OK, enough on this: it's really just a suggestion to make slightly more of an effort to avoid disappointment.

But our bottom line, and the core of my message is that we would return: we met some great people, and we grew closer as a couple. That's a great result. Personally, if they raised the room rates slightly to cover the cost of my suggestions above (which are not very expensive), I would pay for it.
BeantownNewbs
Desire Devotee

Postby CokeMann » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:44 pm

Admin Note: just to address some of these issues, the more you know...... :wink:

- room assignments - Desire has always operated on a ROH basis - both properties have a limited number of rooms and a very high regular booking rate for those rooms when compared to other mega resorts around them and most of us that are regulars realize that "things happen" - ie current guests decide to stay for an extra nite or two, a room has to go out of inventory for a day or two due to maintenance issues - those are mostly the reasons for the room juggling, not because of member requests(ie - they live with the same ROH rules as do we all)

- Pearl unheated pool - Original Resorts has a contract to operate this property for 5 years(starting April, 2012) with the option to purchase after that 5 year contract expires - Original Resorts can make certain minor improvements to the property during the contact period (ie restaurant refurbs, etc) but are not allowed to make major changes to the physical property during the contract period - ie rip up and replace the walkways, modify the existing pool, etc - this is much the same as how Desire RM was acquired by Original Resorts and faced the same restrictions until Original Resorts finally outright purchased that property - many resorts in Cancun and along the Riviera Maya are run the same way( a group will operate a resort property but doesn't necessarily own that actual physical property)
CokeMann
Site Admin

We are from: Canada

Postby swgap » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:26 pm

For the rates paid in the winter, not having the pool heated is unforgivable, and keeps us away until it warms up. The reviewer is dead on with this observation.
nazcpl on kas
swgap
Desire Devotee

We arrive on: 22 Sep 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie

Postby BeantownNewbs » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:52 pm

CokeMann wrote:Admin Note: just to address some of these issues, the more you know...... :wink:

- room assignments - Desire has always operated on a ROH basis - both properties have a limited number of rooms and a very high regular booking rate for those rooms when compared to other mega resorts around them and most of us that are regulars realize that "things happen" - ie current guests decide to stay for an extra nite or two, a room has to go out of inventory for a day or two due to maintenance issues - those are mostly the reasons for the room juggling, not because of member requests (ie - they live with the same ROH rules as do we all)

- Pearl unheated pool - Original Resorts has a contract to operate this property for 5 years(starting April, 2012) with the option to purchase after that 5 year contract expires - Original Resorts can make certain minor improvements to the property during the contact period (ie restaurant refurbs, etc) but are not allowed to make major changes to the physical property during the contract period - ie rip up and replace the walkways, modify the existing pool, etc - this is much the same as how Desire RM was acquired by Original Resorts and faced the same restrictions until Original Resorts finally outright purchased that property - many resorts in Cancun and along the Riviera Maya are run the same way( a group will operate a resort property but doesn't necessarily own that actual physical property)

CokeMann, thank you for those perspectives. I think we all accept room juggling as a matter of life and something that goes with the territory. I think the resort could avoid some disappointments as it relates to room assignments if it adopted practices which made more of an advance effort to accommodate advance requests. Right now, that's just not being done.

In terms of the pool, if Original Resorts is not committed to the property for a sufficiently long period of time to justify installing a pool heating system, then I guess we're stuck. I would have thought the main cost was the operating expense, not the installation cost, but I'm not privvy to the details. Also, given that a pool heating system is a long term property improvement, there may be an opportunity to negotiate with the property owners for some sort of expense sharing, seeing that the benefit carries over to them, should you vacate, but obviously I am not familiar with the specifics of that relationship. Interestingly, the resort is selling memberships that anticipate that DP is going to be there for a long time: one couple we met bought a package for 179 nights. Also, the sales dept referenced the planned construction of a "mansion" -- although no specifics as to what it was going to be or when.
BeantownNewbs
Desire Devotee

Postby CokeMann » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:33 pm

@BeantownNewbs - I'm not going to get into the risk/reward side of the membership thing - suffice it to say that when/if you purchase a membership in the vacation club, it gives you the right for future discounted vacation rooms at Original Resorts properties
ie, you don't buy into a specific property - those that did this, thinking your way, at the former Cabo location unfortunately know this all too well...

Original Resorts is committed to the Pearl property, they put up large chunk of money to do the initial contract plus pre opening long term property improvements that where negotiated with the property owners
ie, building the disco and playroom, changing the former "kiddie" pool into the current Jacuzzi and swim up bar.

Also FYI - the pools at the vast majority of Cancun and Riviera Maya resorts are not heated, heated pools are really the exception...
CokeMann
Site Admin

We are from: Canada

Postby BeantownNewbs » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:48 pm

CokeMann wrote:@BeantownNewbs - I'm not going to get into the risk/reward side of the membership thing - suffice it to say that when/if you purchase a membership in the vacation club, it gives you the right for future discounted vacation rooms at Original Resorts properties
ie, you don't buy into a specific property - those that did this, thinking your way, at the former Cabo location unfortunately know this all too well...

Original Resorts is committed to the Pearl property, they put up large chunk of money to do the initial contract plus pre opening long term property improvements that where negotiated with the property owners
ie, building the disco and playroom, changing the former "kiddie" pool into the current Jacuzzi and swim up bar.

Also FYI - the pools at the vast majority of Cancun and Riviera Maya resorts are not heated, heated pools are really the exception...

I thought the membership program presentation was pretty good and the value proposition seemed generally attractive...but that assumes you have a place to go that you like...I would be surprised if DP closed and/or wasn't replaced. It just seems too busy/successful to see it going away. But I guess that is a risk of the program. Thanks again for your input. I think the activities were great. Ms. BeatownNewbs really embraced it and did a lot of things...yoga and couples thai massage became a regular activity for each of us, and I've never even done yoga. Seeing her do pole dancing was great. Lena and Jen were great teachers and the staff does such a good job of getting people involved...it really adds to the experience and creates comraderie with the other participants, such as those that were in the same class, or for me, on my (winning) pool basketball team.
BeantownNewbs
Desire Devotee

Postby BeantownNewbs » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:46 pm

I spoke with Ms. BeantownNewbs about the content of my report, and while she's not planning on making her own report, she said she disagreed with what I expressed about the erotic massage where I said that we would have liked them to have stayed with us longer.

She felt the opposite: that it was very mechanical and "inauthentic" (because they were only there for the money), and didn't want them to be there longer than shorter when we were together.

Funny, I had said that I wanted them to be there longer for her, thinking she was enjoying the extra attention, but that wasn't the case (not that I didn't enjoy the extra female hands on me). Their presence made her feel more uncomfortable, hindering her enjoyment.

All in all, however, we enjoyed ourselves and the experience, including the sparking wine and chocolate covered strawberries in the private jacuzzi.

Listening to her perse3pctive, I'm not sure I'd do it again, even with a coupon that reduced it from $350 to $200. Now, if we got comped another 25 min couples massage (which was more like 20 mins), I think I'd upgrade that to a full hour massage.

So, to each his or her own. I can see both sides and in the end, it was a sexy experience, so it's also related to the cost.
BeantownNewbs
Desire Devotee

Postby idonotdonot » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:05 pm

I'm not sure why so many people are viewing this trip report as negative. It seemed like a totally fair and even trip report to me. It points out the things that are great and the things that are not so great in the authors opinion. He even makes sure to note that others may have a different view of the importance he placed on certain items. It actually seemed like they had a great time and lots of fun. I don't think there is any denying that Desire Pearl can be expensive as the author suggests. This was a detailed report that included pictures. I found it very helpful as we will be first timers as well. It didn't dissuade us or make us regret our decision to go, it just gave us additional information to help set our expectations to help us have a great time.

Thanks for the trip report.
idonotdonot

Postby Budlee » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:08 pm

BeantownNewbs wrote:
feverpair wrote:Can you not just pick up duty free when you arrive in Cancun rather than buy it at home and pack it in your luggage?
I mean, not even having a heated pool is a simple example of being chincey, IMO, and getting a way with it. .

I suggest you don't travel to Punta Cana, then. No resorts heat their pools. When the weather is 80 or better year round (as it is in the Cancun area), finding a heated pool outdoors is not that common. I don't think it's chintzy at all!

I might recommend something other than a BLT for lunch, at a resort in Mexico. Did you try the fish tacos at lunch? Exceptional. If I want a BLT, I'll go to a diner at home. In MX, I feel you'll do better ordering something that more closely resembles local cuisine.
Budlee
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 31 May 2014
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS, FetLife, Flickr

Postby BeantownNewbs » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:09 pm

Budlee wrote:I suggest you don't travel to Punta Cana, then. No resorts heat their pools. When the weather is 80 or better year round (as it is in the Cancun area), finding a heated pool outdoors is not that common. I don't think it's chintzy at all!

I think if the pool temp was warmer, you'd find a lot more people socializing during the day and lounging in the pool, like they do in the jacuzzi. That was my experience at Temptation in August, when it was 95 degrees out and the pool temp was toasty. Same with Sandals (yuck), but the pool was very warm and people were hanging in the pool and by the pool bar for hours. At DP in the winter, it's not happening. People will play games and a few brave souls venture in to cool off and some hang out for a bit by the bar, but it's hardly the fun scene it could be.

Budlee wrote:I might recommend something other than a BLT for lunch, at a resort in Mexico. Did you try the fish tacos at lunch? Exceptional. If I want a BLT, I'll go to a diner at home. In MX, I feel you'll do better ordering something that more closely resembles local cuisine.

We tried most things: from the buffet and the luncheon menu, from fish tacos (ok, in our opinion), to blackened tuna (pretty boring), to the burger (not bad, would melt the cheese and toast the bun, which could have been done if I ordered a second time and had it translated properly), to the pizza (mushy and bland, despite requesting crispy), to most of the buffet items, from the baked chicken (bland -- which is surprising for Mexican cooking) to most of the prepared salads (also surprisingly bland). Certainly not "wow" items for our tastes, except the habanero sauce is deliciously spicy. So when I say the BLT was the best luncheon item, it's not that I am a huge BLT fan, but that it was simply good. The whole wheat bread was tasty and toasted perfectly; I only had two slices, so it wasn't too bready, and overall was light (compared to many of the heavier items) and tasty.

As for Mexican vs. non-Mexican, I was even disappointed in the tortilla chips -- very thick and heavy. Actually, the resort's menus are highly non-Mexcian. The themes and dishes very international: Italian, French, Steak, Mediterranean, Fusion...yes, there is one Mexican night, if you so desire.

This is just our opinion...I thought the food in general and certain items in particular at the Italian restaurant at Temptation was actually better, and certainly expected the food at Desire to be up a big notch. Did we go hungry: no. Did we say wow, delicious? Rarely. The mushroom soup was terrific (no cream); the mille-feuille was excellent: crisp pasty and very tasty; and I loved the $40 grilled simply lobster tail with butter and garlic sauce on the side (I wish I had taken a pic).

Some people love the food: one person above called it sublime, and that's great. Many people don't care about the food, and Desire as is just great perfect. I think we're seeing operational inexperience, because I think it can be done in and around their budget -- their menus and presentations are excellent, as generally is the service -- the end-product just isn't very special, in our opinion. An no, we weren't expecting the food to match a one star restaurant in Paris or a top restaurant in NY, Boston, Chicago, etc. Perhaps something more akin to the premium/specialty restaurants on a cruise, where I generally enjoy the food. The steak in the steak restaurant on a cruise is usually great. The intimate "French" restaurant is usually pretty damn tasty on a cruise (ignoring the calories) while the escargots from the French theme night at the Pearl were among the worst I've ever had. Similarly, the steak from the steak dinner menu at Aphrodite on Wed night was poor. I didn't try the $30 steak from the premium menu; next time I will.

The reality is, from among the people we spoke to and from posts in these forums, most people just don't care about the food. A subset does care, but just overlooks it, because so many other elements about Desire are great/unique. And I'm sure there's a smaller subset like us that would pay more to get more/better. Personally, as I said, I think it can be done within Desire's food budget or for just a little more money...they just haven't figured it out yet, and operating at such high occupancy, there's not a lot of motivation to do much different/better.

This same type of discussion exists about room locations: some people say they don't spend much time in the room and don't care and just want the cheapest room possible; some people want to see the ocean and hear and feel the waves and the location and view from the room/patio/balcony is important; and some people want to overlook the jacuzzi, because that's a view unto its own. Some people are happy with well drinks; some people want fine wines.

We happen to care about the food, wine, and room/ocean view. That's our perspective. And as I said, I'd pay for it, but I think the for the rates Desire is charging, the food and wine quality should be better. I certainly respect and understand everyone else's opinion and Desire's occupancy and popularity speaks for itself. And I would return, maybe ordering off the menu more regularly, and surely continuing to bring my own wines and certain other booze (especially given the extremely high wine markups). Cheers!
BeantownNewbs
Desire Devotee

Postby two4funinpa » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:01 pm

BeantownNewbs wrote:4. Make a better attempt to accommodate people's room requests, recognizing that members have priority and you may have to bump/juggle people from their original requests -- but currently, as generally acknowledged, they basically don't even read them until you arrive or possibly the night before when it's too late to do much about it if the resort is at high occupancy. I think people have a wide variety of preferences: some like ground floor rooms and some like upper floors with better views; some like the more remote buildings in the 70s and some prefer to be closer the the center; and some prefer a jacuzzi view to an ocean view. So, if you make more of an effort to accommodate people's advance requests, I bet most people would find their preferences will be generally met. My two cents on that. Airlines pre-assign seats according to priority. Cruises pre-assign rooms. This isn't rocket science. I would be fine if they gave members and extra week to pre-select their rooms, or even if they called or emailed and said: "we originally blocked room "x" for you but that room has been requested by a member, so we now have rooms a, b, and c for you...which one would you like?" Or, if they did this w/o calling me, taking into account my previously expressed preferences. As indicated previously, many people have the attitude that they don't spend much time in their rooms and really don't care. Others do care. OK, enough on this: it's really just a suggestion to make slightly more of an effort to avoid disappointment.

Not arguing, and not giving an opinion as we haven't been there yet, but you can't compare cruises and airlines. Everyone gets on and off a flight at the same time, so you can reserve seats in advance. With a resort like Desire, occupancy is fluid...people are always coming and going. So it's harder to reserve rooms. I'm sure they make every effort to accommodate. Why wouldn't they? My tune may change next month after check in.
SLS - two4funinpanow
KIK - two4funinpa
two4funinpa
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 20 Dec 2022
Swing Site(s) we belong to: sls

Postby BeantownNewbs » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:05 pm

Good point abt on/off at same time, but I really don't think they do make an effort, at most the day/night before...why not? My point exactly. They actually do care and try to do their best once ur there, but by that time, it's potentially too late to take your preferences into account.

Ultimately, we were very happy w room 5 (or 4), which is up half a flightand overlooking the pool and ocean.
BeantownNewbs
Desire Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Pearl