Second Time (@ DP) is the Charm - May 2016

Please contribute Desire Pearl Trip reports here

Second Time (@ DP) is the Charm - May 2016

Postby sunseekercpl1 » Sat May 28, 2016 7:14 pm

We just got back earlier this week from our 4 nights at Desire Pearl and wanted to send a quick trip report. Leading up to our vacation we always enjoyed reading about others experiences at Desire and we wanted to return the favor and hopefully encourage others to do the same.

We arrived at the Cancun airport Friday morning about 11:00 am. Surprisingly we made it through immigration very quickly with only 1 or 2 people ahead of us in our line. We then picked up our bags and quickly got to customs to push the “dreaded button of fate”. Luckily we pushed the button & got the green light. Last time we weren’t so lucky. We then quickly walked past the gauntlet of timeshare salespeople to find our transportation outside. The best advice when going through the gauntlet is to not make eye contact and walk quickly straight ahead. Locating our ride to the resort too was fairly easy and we quickly found our driver (RC Tours) and we were on our way.

The total amount of time from getting off of our flight, to the time we got into the shuttle van was no more than 20 minutes. We thought this was great considering we have had to go through the same process before and it has taken more than two to three times that amount of time. Maybe that was because it was a Friday morning and not during spring break.

After a 15 – 20 minute shuttle ride we arrived at the lobby and were quickly greeted. Of course our room was not ready yet. We were told however to feel free to make use of all the facilities. Our room should be ready by 3:00. We met some friends in the Lobby from the Yahoo Group who were just checking in also. The 4 of us decided to go have lunch. By the time we finished lunch, our room was ready. We quickly dropped off our luggage in our room and were ready to head to the pool.

The last time we had stayed at DP was the first week it opened as Pearl in 2012. Our impression was there had been a number of improvements to the resort since then, which included enclosing the main lobby (and providing AC) and renovations to Aphrodite and Pearl restaurants. We also noticed they had improved the swim-up bar at the pool.

We found the entire staff at DP to be extremely helpful and accommodating. One of the individuals who stood-out was “G”. Each morning on our way back from breakfast, we would stop to see him at the pool to get a couple of lounge chairs assigned to us and an umbrella at the active end of the pool. “G” always took care of us and had towels waiting at our chairs when we returned. During the day he would stop by and ask if there was anything else we needed. This was especially nice and we made sure to tip him.

Another staff member who seemed to bend over backwards for us was “Eraider”, the manager at Aphrodite restaurant. The first night we were there, a group of 8 couples from our Yahoo Group all decided to have dinner together. I asked if they could give us a large table to keep all of us together. He told us they typically do not do large groups without advance notice, as there was already a large group they were serving for some sort of wine tasting event. However, he said he would see what he could do. Within 5 minutes they were able to pull several tables together for all 16 of us and assigned 2 waiters to take care of us. Before we ordered, he asked if our group would be interested in ordering an entrée that was not offered on the menu, but was a chef’s special; surf and turf I believe almost everyone in our group ordered the special he offered us. The filet was one of the best I ever had, and the surf was 4 large shrimp wrapped in bacon and grilled. It was an unbelievable meal. After that, every time we went into Aphrodite, Eraider made a point to come over and say hello to us and ask how our stay was going and if there was anything we needed.

We thought the food served in both restaurants was very good and they had enough variety each day to keep things interesting. This is not true if you have experienced the food at other all-inclusive resorts. Even if you did not find something you wanted on the menu, if you asked, they would be willing to make you a special entrée. Even one night after the disco and the Jacuzzi, we were hungry for something at 3:00 AM. They had a cook at a grill near the lobby make fresh chicken or beef tacos. They were great. One night about 2:00 AM we ordered a pizza from room service. It too was fairly decent.

The room we had was very nice. We had originally booked a standard ocean view room. Instead they gave us a master suite which had two full baths, a separate bedroom and living room and two balconies and only charged us for a standard room. The only minor complaint about this suite (#6) was it is located above the Jacuzzi. Late at night you could sometimes hear people having fun in the Jacuzzi. It was not an issue for us, but if you are a very light sleeper, I could see it might be. If we were offered that room again, we would definitely take it because it was so centrally located to most things.

The overall service at Pearl, from the bellhop who took us and our luggage to our room, to the activity staff at the pool, were all outstanding. We found everyone at the resort to be very friendly and helpful.

The entertainment each night which included the bands that played live music in the lobby area and the shows in the disco, were good. Also the theme nights were fun. We dressed for each of the theme nights, but there were some couples who really went all out (ie, Tony & Stacy). Next time we will have to step up our game. Also, we really enjoyed the foam party at the pool on Saturday afternoon. There was certainly some fun going on in the middle of all those suds!

Each of the bars appeared to have a fairly good selection of liquor, more so than we remembered from last time. Also, if you insisted on a top shelf brand, they generally had it for a small additional fee. One thing we did notice though was that the skill of the bartenders varied a bit. You could order a mixed drink from one bartender and is tasted as expected. Then order the same drink from different bartender and the drink might taste a little different. Also, my wife was a little surprised when she ordered a ‘Desire’ at the bar (one of her favorite drinks when we are there last) and a few of the bartenders didn’t know what it was. Only one by the Jacuzzi knew & he had to think about it. You’d think by the name, it might be a staple there (it was at RM).

One thing we did found a bit annoying was the DJ in the disco. We went to the disco all 4 nights we were there. 3 out of the 4 nights he basically played the same play list each night. I realize we were in Mexico, but how many time do we have to hear the same 3 Pitbull songs over and over again each night. My wife even requested a specific song. He said he would try to get to it, but he never did. They really need a much bigger variety of music each night especially when you consider most people go to the disco most of the nights they are there.

The only other thing we found somewhat irritating was the beach bed situation at the Jacuzzi in the evening. I can’t tell you how many times in the late afternoon and evening we saw beach bags, sandals and towels lumped on one of the beds and no one using it for long periods of time. We would see couples walk by looking for an available bed to use, but most never had a single body in them. I’m sorry, but I think that is just rude. There are a bunch of cubbyholes over by the shower for your things. People don’t need to throw them on one of the beds and then jump in the Jacuzzi for several hours. Be courteous and let others use the beds if you are not.

Overall, our trip was excellent. The resort amenities, the erotic atmosphere, the staff and service were all exceptional. However, the very best aspect of our vacation, were the guests at the resort. Almost everyone we met were very friendly and engaging. We made a number of good friendships that we hope to maintain.

We are already checking our calendar for our next trip to DP.

:US
sunseekercpl1
Desire Lover

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 05 Nov 2019
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS KIK

Re: Second Time (@ DP) is the Charm - May 2016

Postby Takes2toTango » Sat May 28, 2016 11:27 pm

Thanks for a great trip report. Completely agree that why the next trip back in Oct is a return to DP.
Glad the yahoo group thing worked for dinner it's a fun way to meet people
Takes2toTango
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 15 Nov 2019
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie

Postby SpicyCoupleMa » Mon May 30, 2016 4:30 am

Thank for the great report! We'll be there in one day for our first trip to paradise! :L :L :L
A curious late-40s something couple, deeply in lust with each other, and who love laughing and meeting wonderful people.
SpicyCoupleMa
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 31 May 2016

Postby Gemini Rose » Tue May 31, 2016 10:14 am

We just returned Sunday from 8 nights at Pearl and completely agree with your comments regarding the jacuzzi beds. One afternoon after noticing a couple seeking a bed I suggested they remove the items from the bed. They carefully sat the items on the ground next to the bed and used the bed for its intended purpose. I suggest more people take this approach and maybe the issue will resolve itself.
Gemini Rose and Cowboy
Gemini Rose
Desire Superstar

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 11 May 2019

Postby AzDesertCouple » Tue May 31, 2016 1:31 pm

Thanks for the outstanding trip report! A ton of good information that will help my wife and I be well prepared for our upcoming trip :) I continue to be befuddled by the years of comments regarding DJ play list, repeated songs over and over, night after night...and nothing seems to get resolved. Seriously, this has got to be one of the easiest complaints to rectify, yet the same complaints keep rolling in. Not about choice of music...there will always be those not happy with selection and the DJ can't please everyone's taste in music. We are talking about limited play lists where same song gets played 2-3 times a night. If I have to listen to the same Pitbull song three times a night I'm going to lose my mind...and I like Pitbull :)

How difficult can it possibly be to add another 80-100 songs to playlist to a valid this from happening? This appears to be the number one complaint of an otherwise incredible resort, yet the complexity to resolve the issue appears to be overwhelming given its not been addressed for years! I've seen these compIaints as far back at 2012...yikes.

Should I just bring my iPod with 350 songs and leave it at Pearl so the problem gets solved for good? What am I missing here?
AzDesertCouple
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 14 Jun 2016
Swing Site(s) we belong to: AFF

Postby SensualCouple55 » Tue May 31, 2016 11:37 pm

AzDesertCouple wrote: I continue to be befuddled by the years of comments regarding DJ play list, repeated songs over and over, night after night...and nothing seems to get resolved. Seriously, this has got to be one of the easiest complaints to rectify, yet the same complaints keep rolling in. Not about choice of music...there will always be those not happy with selection and the DJ can't please everyone's taste in music. We are talking about limited play lists where same song gets played 2-3 times a night. If I have to listen to the same Pitbull song three times a night I'm going to lose my mind...

Dear AZ, et al

When we filled out the survey at checkout, we raved about everything but the DJ.

Seems quite simple...watch the people. When the floor is packed...the music I'm playing must be Bueno. When people vacate the dance floor, the music must not be right for this crowd.

Fix it!

Ohmmmmmmmmmm....I'm going back to my relaxed inner self now.

B & J
Aka...Newbies No More
:US
SensualCouple55
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 29 Apr 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie

Postby sunseekercpl1 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:52 am

Hey everyone. We are not saying the play list is not good, because it is fine. However, we don't enjoy listening to the same play list every night. When we go to Desire for 7 nights, we typical will go to the disco 6 out of 7 nights. I think this is probably very typical of most people at Desire. If the DJ added more variety in his play list, I know we would probably stay at the disco much longer. Looking at the crowd, most guests are in their 30s to early 50's. What if one night a week, the theme was 80's & 90's and the only music played that night is music from that period, people could dress accord to that theme and the music would follow the theme also. We go to a couple LS dances in our area. Once a year they do an 80's theme night. That dance is usually very well attended and is a lot of fun. If DP did something like that, I think most guests would get into it and the disco dance floor would be packed, since most of us grew up in that area and can relate. We are just suggesting an 80's/90's theme night with that music would be a fun change of pace. Sorry Pitbull!
sunseekercpl1
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 05 Nov 2019
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS KIK

Postby wetintally » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:03 am

That is a great idea. I think one of the problems is that Desire plays the same music you would hear in a similar disco in the states. However, since most of us don't go to the disco seven nights in a row it is not an issue. One of the issues could be a copyright concern.
wetintally
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 11 Jun 2016
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC

Postby Rocky&Debby » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:51 am

sunseekercpl1 wrote:Hey everyone. We are not saying the play list is not good, because it is fine. However, we don't enjoy listening to the same play list every night. When we go to Desire for 7 nights, we typical will go to the disco 6 out of 7 nights. I think this is probably very typical of most people at Desire. If the DJ added more variety in his play list, I know we would probably stay at the disco much longer. Looking at the crowd, most guests are in their 30s to early 50's. What if one night a week, the theme was 80's & 90's and the only music played that night is music from that period, people could dress accord to that theme and the music would follow the theme also. We go to a couple LS dances in our area. Once a year they do an 80's theme night. That dance is usually very well attended and is a lot of fun. If DP did something like that, I think most guests would get into it and the disco dance floor would be packed, since most of us grew up in that area and can relate. We are just suggesting an 80's/90's theme night with that music would be a fun change of pace. Sorry Pitbull!

:L
Rocky&Debby
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 03 Aug 2017

Postby someonesomewhere » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:35 pm

The playlist is monotonous - no doubt. Even worse to me as a music guy, is the inability of the DJ to actually mix/crossfade and play a list that makes sense from a dance perspective. BPMs are everything as you bring a group up and slow them back down. These guys are using a program that tries to sync the music by BPM and at the beginning and ending of soungs that have mismatched BpMs, intros or extros - leads to the sound of a train wreck in between songs. You look around and we all look paralyzed in between songs as we wait to figure out what's about to happen after just trying to dance to the beat.
someonesomewhere
Desire Convert

Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie SDC

Postby TandR » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:58 pm

We don't mind so much that they play the same songs. What really gets annoying is when they play the same songs in the exact same order. It got to the point where we knew what song would be next. That is just lazy. They have a playlist and just push a button and let it play.
TandR
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 31 May 2019
Swing Site(s) we belong to: TandRNT on SLS

Postby youme69 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:36 am

We just returned and it is bad when you say.... Let's dance I like the next song.
youme69
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 03 Apr 2024

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Pearl