Less than Awesome

Please contribute Desire Pearl Trip reports here

Less than Awesome

Postby candjwv » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:31 pm

I'll keep this brief (probably not) but I wanted to share our misfortune with everyone so you can plan accordingly...

Our flights were to leave DC on Friday the 29th at 6:00AM, with a hop through Chicago to put us in Cancun by lunch. A 2.5 hour mechanical delay in DC got us off the ground *after* our Chicago connector had already left. I requested to deplane so we could make other flight arrangements, but the crew said that there were plenty of options once we got to Chicago. So, they talked us into staying onboard. Mistake #1.

Upon hitting Chicago, we ran to the gate agent (as instructed) to rebook. They put us on a 4:00 flight, so we had several hours to kill in the airport. We sat and read for a few hours. Then, when we hit around 2:30, I got an update that our flight was cancelled. Not delayed, but cancelled completely. I went back to the gate, and they said the best they could do was get us out around 8:00 AM THE NEXT MORNING. The agent suggested that we simply "hang out and have fun in Chicago." It occurred to me to explain to her the difference between hanging out in Chicago, and "hanging out" around the jacuzzi at Pearl, but my wife persuaded me otherwise.

Once I realized that we were stuck, I went to Expedia and checked for a hotel room. The Hilton O'Hare was only $249, so I walked to the front desk (it's in the airport) to check their pricing. The check-in gal said that she showed a rate of $550, so I should book online. When I tried to book on my phone, there was some obscure error, and I was connected to an Expedia agent via voice. I told her what happened, and she said she could book me, at $550, and then just refund the difference later. Long story short, after 2 hours on the phone in the Hilton lobby, I somehow ended up with two hotel rooms (one at the Sheraton) at full price. Another hour, and they were so confused that they decided they weren't gong to help me any further, and the cancelled everything and hung up on me. Awesome.

I went back to the desk, and said I'd take whatever they had. "Fortunately" the price dropped back to $350 (from $550) so I took it. We dropped our bags in our room, and then came back to the concierge to ask WTF we could do in an unfamiliar city for the evening. He suggested hopping on the L and heading downtown, so we did. Right into the center of Lollapalooza. Seriously. Out of all the places we could have ended up, that was quite possibly the worst place for two pissed off over-charged, flight-delayed travellers.

We went back to the room, and I called Pearl to let them know we'd be a day late. I asked if we could slide our reservation a day (Sat-Thurs instead of Fri-Wed) since we already booked 5 nights. She said "Sure, you can add a day." I said, "no - I mean I need to move both our check in and check out by a day. We don't want to add a day, we still want to stay 5 instead of missing a night." This is when she politely informed me that we would be paying for the night when we couldn't effing get there.

I'll break from my little story to cut to the chase: I understand what non-refundable means. Most adults do. But when I'm spending $950 a night for a luxury resort, and I can't get there due to someone else's fault (we didn't miss our flight, it was grounded, rescheduled, and then cancelled) then I would expect a little leeway. She expected me to "understand" that they couldn't rent out that room since we reserved it. The problem is that the resort wasn't fully booked (not even our room category) so that was crap. They wouldn't have lost any income due to a full house - there were other suites available, if anyone would have called to rent one.

This has happened to me in other situations, with $200 a night rooms, and the resort or hotel *always* accommodated us. Once we were even upgraded for free simply because they saw that we were stressed out when we arrived. For Pearl to not make *ANY* sort of gesture towards us was a slap in the face. They refused to help in any way.

When we finally got to the resort, 32 hours late, we checked in and then got handed over to a concierge who we were told would help us get our bearings and make any arrangements we needed. I thought they finally had a sense of compassion. Then, about 3 minutes into it, I realized I was sitting in a timeshare speech. After explaining that we just missed 32 hours of our vacation, and were out $950 for the night we weren't there, $350 for a hotel we didn't want, and probably $100 for food that we shouldn't have needed, the rep had the gaul to ask us for "just an hour" of our time, and what amounts to $10K in timeshare investments.

In the end, the rest of the trip was fine, but the sting of that first interaction with the resort staff is something I'll never get over. They need to understand that they're selling an experience, not just renting rooms. And part of that is taking the responsibility to help guests who get unlucky with travel hiccups - not seeing an opportunity for easy cash.
DRM: 5/4 - 5/11, 2014
TTR: 11/10 - 11/15, 2015
DP: 7/29 - 8/3, 2016
*** DRM: June 17-23 2017 ***
candjwv
Desire Lover

We are from: USA
Will be at:  
We arrive on: 05 Nov 2022

Re: Less than Awesome

Postby scuba_couple » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:07 pm

I'm at a loss for words. I am hopeful that you did NOT do the presentation. Our promised 30 minute presentation turned into about an hour and a half and a level of frustration that took 2 Bacardi & Cokes, and and hour of sun to relieve! :lol:

I do hope that you were able to enjoy the rest of your vacation and not let this nightmare ruin the whole thing. (I'm not so sure I would have been able to just shrug it off - but that's just the way I am wired....)

Scuba
Desire Pearl: July 2016, July 2017 (booked)
SLS: scuba_couple
scuba_couple
Desire Addict

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 14 Jul 2017
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby candjwv » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:51 pm

No, we didn't do the presentation. I was afraid I would say or do something regrettable by that point.

The sad thing is - we had been to DRM and TTR previously, and had a great time. If this had been even an "average" trip, I might have considered the timeshare deal. Not just for the free massage, but as a potential customer. Our last 3 annual vacations were all at their properties, and we had wonderful experience with the first two. So, not only did they miss an opportunity to convince me of their impeccable customer service - they totally blew it by charging us and then being insensitive to that fact.

Off the record - at the time, I would have conceded a partial refund. I did know that they had a "no cancellation" policy, but again, we were late due to the airline's fault. If they would have offered to split the difference, I wouldn't have complained. But for them to somehow think that WE cost THEM $950 as a late arrival is beyond me. The argument for an unfilled room would have been logical, except that their site showed empty suites, and they later confirmed this verbally. They also saved the expense of the 4 meals, drinks, and services we didn't get to consume.

I forgot to mention - we were supposed to have twice daily housekeeping, a butler, and daily snacks in our room (according to their site). I had to call twice to get our room cleaned (the first time was before dinner on Day 2). I met the butler on Day 3, and we never got the snacks.
candjwv
Desire Lover

Will be at:  

Postby Morkmorkmork » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:26 pm

I try to never fly through Chicago. Have only heard bad stories from that airport.
Morkmorkmork

Postby youngoldies » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:17 pm

Just curious, I've never purchased trip insurance. Anyone know if it would have covered a situation like this?
KIK azfunnsun
youngoldies
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 16 Aug 2023

Postby bobsharon79 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:13 am

Yes, trip insurance would have kicked. We had to cancel our trip the night before we flew out. The only thing it cost was the cost of the insurance. $298.00 per couple.
bobsharon79
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 08 May 2017

Postby candjwv » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:18 am

I'm assuming that it would, which is part of the warning that I'd like to pass on to everyone here. Even though trip insurance is generally a "bad gamble" (mathematically speaking, it has a negative expectation) it may be worthwhile in cases where the resort insists on acting like an ass.

We've never bought trip insurance, because I'm willing to take the gamble that I'll be at the airport when I need to. That's why we spent extra $ to get a room in DC the night before the trip, 10 minutes from the airport, to make super-double-certain we'd be on time. That's also the reason I booked a 6:00AM flight - in case something went wrong, we'd have options for later flights the rest of the day. So, I guess I was operating as "self-insured" for this trip, or so I thought.

I've submitted a claim to AA since it was their fault that all of this pile of suck got started in the first place. I'll report back when I know if/when/how much they are willing to reimburse us for our losses.
candjwv
Desire Lover

Will be at:  

Postby mickjaggeroo » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:14 am

If you are that close to DC, next time make the short drive to BWI and take a Southwest flight directly to the Cancun airport. I always try to schedule my flights as non-stop for just the reason you documented. Sorry your trip started out so poorly.
Greeneyesforu on sls
mickjaggeroo
Desire Lover

Will be at: Both Riviera Maya & Pearl
We arrive on: 14 Aug 2019
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby TandD » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:53 pm

Damn, that sucks. I agree that they should have accommodated you better. You weren't asking for a refund, just a sliding of your reservation. Doesn't seem like a cancellation clause would kick in.

Sounds like you were still able to enjoy the vacation once you got there so kudos for rising above.
TandD
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 06 Jun 2019

Postby tikihutguy » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:10 pm

You deserve the Desire persistent traveler award! Glad you were able to make the best of it. FYI I don't like the BWI route either but depends on where you start from. United flies non-stop from Dulles.... 8)
tikihutguy
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 18 May 2023

Postby tikihutguy » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:11 pm

Morkmorkmork wrote:I try to never fly through Chicago. Have only heard bad stories from that airport.

OMG. WAY to many stories to back that one up.... :shock:
tikihutguy
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 18 May 2023

Postby UsAndYou » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:57 pm

I live near Chicago and fly frequently for work and pleasure. It is Southwest out of Midway for me whenever it is an option. Multiple trips to Cancun without a hitch (aside from some weather). I avoid AA like the plaque.

Sorry to hear your trip got off to a bad start...
UsAndYou
Desire Devotee

Postby hapi2beeus » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:27 pm

Like Scuba couple, we are also at a loss for words. :-L
Please let us know if/when the management seeks resolution on this.
For a resort that offers such great service, this is disappointing to say the least.
Wish y'all the best...
Joel & Cheri
hapi2beeus

We arrive on: 12 Jun 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC

Postby BandP » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:19 am

Moral of the story is...buy trip insurance...you never know what could happen. Sorry you guys had such a rocky start to party in paradise.
SDC: Sidekickers
kik: TXSidekick
RM Nov 2015
RM Aug 2016
Pearl June 2017
BandP
Desire Lover

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 04 Oct 2018
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC

Postby hoppercf » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:19 am

BandP wrote:Moral of the story is...buy trip insurance...you never know what could happen. Sorry you guys had such a rocky start to party in paradise.

Absolutely. The Delta system outage is a perfect example of what can happen. We're lucky that we got of of CUN, yesterday.
hoppercf
Desire Devotee

We arrive on: 02 Jun 2024

Next

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Pearl