Pearl 11/20-30, 2017

Please contribute Desire Pearl Trip reports here

Pearl 11/20-30, 2017

Postby mikeinnj » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:46 pm

This was our 6th trip (3rd to Pearl)

Arrived in the old terminal and flew through customs and immigration in under 15 minutes, green light, and off we went. It was raining pretty good as we landed and we feared we might actually have our first day of rain (yes we’ve been that lucky). USA transfers got us our car in a couple minutes and we were to the resort within 30-40 minutes of landing. Upon arrival to the resort, we found that they had received no rain and the only rain that appeared the entire trip was one night while we slept.

Check-in. This was the only non positive experience. First, they had my name listed wrong and kept thinking my middle name was my last. I checked our confirmations, and it was all Desire’s doings. Had to decline the sales pitch numerous times. Went and changed in the spa and as soon as we exited, our room was ready. Moved everything in and headed for lunch.

As the check in was messed up, we got the building we wanted but much higher floor than requested. This is the first time our requests have not been honored so I’m chalking it up to a one time screw up. Also, since the check in was messed up, the express check in was “lost” and nothing said nor done for my wife’s birthday. Again, not a deal breaker.

Room was fine (except for floor) and everything worked so life was good.

Food was good in all the restaurants though the Gastro Pub changed its menu and went from our most favorite to least favorite. Aphrodite and Pearl both had seemed to have stepped up their game and all the meals were very good. Another positive were a few tables outside of Aphrodite for meals outside.

Pool was fine and most days warm enough for my wife to get in. A couple days it seemed the heated side wasn’t so she sat on the old hot tub next to the pool bar when I was in the pool. Hot tub temps ran from cool to good to hot depending on the day. A couple days we left earlier than normal as we just got too hot.

Chairs at the pool, even though apparently a full resort, were easy to get, even for us non-members. We had chairs, with an umbrella, on the active side each day we wanted one. Prior visits, that had always seemed impossible to get both a chair on that end plus get an umbrella.

Beach was a pleasant surprise with very little sea grass. Most days it didn’t even really need to be cleaned. The day we walked into town, the amount of sea grass along the entire route was minimal to non existent.

When I had read previously about the newbie wristbands, I was generally opposed. I’m now a convert. We found ourselves approaching more folks than normal if we noticed them on the sidelines with the bands.

Staff and guests were all great per usual. Smoking was minimal and most guests observed the smoking rules. We are both sensitive to the smell and it was never an issue.

I know there is a lot more that should be included but this is what came t mind tonight. All in all, another great vacation.
mikeinnj
Desire Superstar

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 14 May 2024

Re: Pearl 11/20-30, 2017

Postby Dfw1234 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:30 pm

Explain the newbie wristbands. Something they give you at check in?
Dfw1234
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 01 Jul 2020
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC

Postby mikeinnj » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:02 pm

There are now 3 colors. Gold band for first timers, white for repeat, and black ( think that was it) for members. It’s the wristband you wear the entire time so they know you belong at the resort. Prior to this trip, there were only 2 different bands.

You get the bands at check in

Mike
mikeinnj
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 14 May 2024

Postby Explorer79 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:05 am

I've also seen red, for the suites perhaps?
\m/
Explorer79
Desire Legend

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 17 Oct 2019

Postby mikeinnj » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:51 am

Never saw them so I have no clue.

Mike
mikeinnj
Desire Superstar