First Time, Never Returning - July 2018

Please contribute Desire Pearl Trip reports here

First Time, Never Returning - July 2018

Postby dfs42 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:28 pm

I'm writing this while still at the resort. It's been an ok trip until tonight, our last night.

We watched a man with (hopefully) alcohol poisoning get dragged out of the hot tub by other guests. He was in bad shape - drool coming from his mouth, couldn't stand. Bar staff called hotel security who eventually came with oxygen and a wheel chair. They stood around him for awhile, while everyone was assuming they called 911. One woman finally asked then if they called 911 and they never responded to her. They put the man in a wheelchair and left. We decided to follow them to see if they took him to the lobby to meet paramedics. They didn't.

They took him to his room and left him alone with his intoxicated wife. Security tried to tell me he was ok, but they were not understanding that if he vomited, he would die. His intoxicated wife would not be able to help him. I ran to the front lobby to get help. Two people came to help (didn't catch their names). They checked on him and said everything was ok and a doctor was coming in 15 minutes. We waited for 20 minutes outside his room. Security left, front desk staff left. The man was alone with his intoxicated wife. We were the only ones around to hear if she were to scream for help - and, of course, we wouldn't be able to do anything.

Antonio, the guest services manager, came up to us after 20 minutes and said the man refused medical treatment but not to worry because they are checking on him. Of course, had something happened - there was no one there to help. They left him alone for 20 minutes.

I will never return. That was one of the worst cases of (hopefully) alcohol poisoning I have ever seen. The hotel did nothing. That man easily could have died on their watch. This is disgusting.
dfs42

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya

Re: First Time, Never Returning - July 2018

Postby dfs42 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:32 am

Now that I have a little more time, here is more details from our trip. We stayed for a week, July 22-29th.

This was our first trip to any kind of nude resort and we are not in the lifestyle.

The Good:
The grounds are beautiful. Everything is well kept and clean. The rooms are large and clean and they do a great job keeping them clean while you are here.

The beach and water were amazing (despite seaweed, see below). Walking around naked was great. I was worried I would feel uncomfortable, but I never did. We were both naked within hours of arriving.

The beach/bar staff were great. Always good about bringing us drinks and suggesting drinks for us to try.

The catamaran was also great. I have never been snorkeling before. Seeing the fish and the beautiful shorelines and ocean was certainly a highlight of the trip. There was not much of a party on our boat, which was fine by us. Highly recommend the catamaran

The foam party. We are not much for party people, but the foam party was so much fun!

The Bad:
The food. Mediocre at the very best. I was shocked how poor the food quality was. I was even more surprised that our worst means were at Pearl and Unik. One night I received a steak that was completely rare on one side and well done on the other. How did they manage that? Did they just put the right side of the steak on the grill and leave the left side hanging off?
It was such a let down after each day to go to dinner and have disappointing food. It really spoils a great day.
We talked to a few other couples who have been here before and said the food is not good now. I don't know what happened - but the food alone would be a reason for us to not come back. First time I've ever lost weight on a vacation.

The servers. Servers at the restaurant were really hit or miss. I don't blame them. I blame management. They servers were trying, but they clearly were not well trained. They missed simple things like if you bring someone milk and sugar for their coffee, they will need a spoon to stir it.
If you come expecting a more fine dining experience, you wont get it. If you come expecting service similar to your local diner or Applebee's, you will not be disappointed.

Hiring a top hotel food/beverage manager would go along way. They need someone skilled in serving large groups that can set the menu, train the chefs, and train the servers. That would make all the difference.

The beach/seaweed. It was not until our second to last day here that they made any effort to remove the seaweed. I know it is a problem everywhere, but being on the catamaran showed us how many resorts had beautiful beaches and were actively cleaning up the shore. When people finally started cleaning up the seaweed after nearly a week of nothing, it made a huge difference. The beach looked so much better! Why were they not doing this all along?

Finally - my post above shows my sour feelings about this whole trip. The trip ended watching the resort do virtually nothing about a man in serious distress. Then their audacity to argue with me and lie to my face about a doctor coming was beyond believe. We sat outside that room for 20 minutes. They said a doctor was going to be there in 15 minutes. No doctor ever showed. They told us they kept checking on the man. They were not - we were there for 20 minutes with no one else around. How could anyone be so heartless as to leave a man in serious distress alone in his room with his intoxicated wife?
What if that was a stroke and not alcohol poisoning? His left side of his face was drooped down. They are not medical professionals. Call a doctor and at least have him evaluated.
dfs42

Postby jaikukki » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:31 pm

Thanks for the heads up. That's really scary that too happening in a foreign country. I guess it's DP's way of doing things. Totally unprofessional and sick people. Hope other future guests take note of this. Waiting for an wonderful reply from the management on your experience!
jaikukki

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 30 Sep 2018

Postby Jimbo75 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:23 pm

But from your story it sounds like the guy ended up ok. So maybe they have more experience than you in that sort of situation
Jimbo75

We arrive on: 17 Sep 2018

Postby newbiepilot10 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:30 am

You are right the beach at pearl was disgustingly dirty(July visit) the odor coming from it was unbearable. As far as the food, I thought at times it was from ok, good to excellent. The service I have to say was very good. As far as your alcohol poisoning that you witnessed, you have to understand that you are in Mexico...we often compare foreign countries to services like we have back at the states or Canada, but unfortunately that just isn’t so. You really have to police yourself, when you go on vacation. Obviously that couple were drinking to see who passed out first. Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience.
newbiepilot10
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 19 Jul 2018
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Sdc

Postby Powderfinger » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:39 am

dfs42 wrote:I'm writing this while still at the resort. It's been an ok trip until tonight, our last night.

We watched a man with (hopefully) alcohol poisoning get dragged out of the hot tub by other guests. He was in bad shape - drool coming from his mouth, couldn't stand. Bar staff called hotel security who eventually came with oxygen and a wheel chair. They stood around him for awhile, while everyone was assuming they called 911. One woman finally asked then if they called 911 and they never responded to her. They put the man in a wheelchair and left. We decided to follow them to see if they took him to the lobby to meet paramedics. They didn't.

They took him to his room and left him alone with his intoxicated wife. Security tried to tell me he was ok, but they were not understanding that if he vomited, he would die. His intoxicated wife would not be able to help him. I ran to the front lobby to get help. Two people came to help (didn't catch their names). They checked on him and said everything was ok and a doctor was coming in 15 minutes. We waited for 20 minutes outside his room. Security left, front desk staff left. The man was alone with his intoxicated wife. We were the only ones around to hear if she were to scream for help - and, of course, we wouldn't be able to do anything.

Antonio, the guest services manager, came up to us after 20 minutes and said the man refused medical treatment but not to worry because they are checking on him. Of course, had something happened - there was no one there to help. They left him alone for 20 minutes.

I will never return. That was one of the worst cases of (hopefully) alcohol poisoning I have ever seen. The hotel did nothing. That man easily could have died on their watch. This is disgusting.

That guy was out drinking again before noon the very next morning. And from what others told us, he had nights prior to having to be lifted out of the hot tub where he couldn't walk straight. So part of me has to wonder if they'd seen so much of that behaviour that they simply felt like looking the other way as much as they could.
RMJan'08,'12,'16,'17Jan/Feb'09,'10,'11Feb'18June'13July'12,'14,'19July/Aug'10,'11,'15,'16,'17,'21Spt'09 Dec'18','19,'20
DPJuly'13July/Aug'18
Powderfinger
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 11 Dec 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby Beach girl » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:57 pm

I’m going to put a different spin on the alcohol situation. Shame on two adults who can not control their alcohol intake to the point it infringes on others enjoyment of the resort. Who is the irresponsible party here? The resort or the adult guests?
Beach girl
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 04 Jan 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC

Postby Explorer79 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:16 pm

I never really understood why someone would want to get wasted at Desire. I can't think of much worse than feeling like total shit the next day only to hear "Dude you had the best time last night", but remember little to none of it. That could be done in the alley back home for much cheaper.
\m/
Explorer79
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 17 Oct 2019

Postby tan44 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:10 pm

Beach girl wrote:I’m going to put a different spin on the alcohol situation. Shame on two adults who can not control their alcohol intake to the point it infringes on others enjoyment of the resort. Who is the irresponsible party here? The resort or the adult guests?

:L
Kik : cancunx
tan44
Desire Addict

We are from: Canada

Postby Regina Lima » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:56 pm

Beach girl wrote:I’m going to put a different spin on the alcohol situation. Shame on two adults who can not control their alcohol intake to the point it infringes on others enjoyment of the resort. Who is the irresponsible party here? The resort or the adult guests?

I completely agree!!
Ri & Si
DP 2016-Sep
DP 2017-Apr
DP 2018-Apr
DP 2018-Sep
DP 2019-Sep
DP 2021-Nov
Miches 2023 - Nov
Regina Lima
Desire Lover

We are from: Brazil
We arrive on: 26 Nov 2021

Postby Darin & Melissa » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:27 pm

Our last trip in April we saw them take a young lady out in a wheel chair around 6:00 pm. It was our first night there and others said it was not the first time that week. Happened the night before. We didn’t expect to see her out the next day, but she was. So evidently it happens fairly often there and maybe staff is just used to letting people sleep it off.
dmtx on SDC
dmtx1 and mdtx1 on kik
Darin & Melissa
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 09 Jul 2022
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC

Postby 202703 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:43 am

dfs42 wrote:

The food. Mediocre at the very best. I was shocked how poor the food quality was. I was even more surprised that our worst means were at Pearl and Unik. One night I received a steak that was completely rare on one side and well done on the other. How did they manage that? Did they just put the right side of the steak on the grill and leave the left side hanging off?
It was such a let down after each day to go to dinner and have disappointing food. It really spoils a great day.
We talked to a few other couples who have been here before and said the food is not good now. I don't know what happened - but the food alone would be a reason for us to not come back. First time I've ever lost weight on a vacation.

We were also surprised by how low the food quality was. The Osso Bucco at Unik, which was great last year, now tastes like Dinty Moore stew. We both ordered the "T-Bone" at Aphrodite. They were full of gristle, and had no T-bones in them. We both sent them back and ordered something else. Yes, the food is now on par with Applebee's. The food we were served for dinner made us feel like our business was being taken for granted. The high carbohydrate choices might be okay, but we wouldn't know.

We arrive on: 08 Aug 2017

Postby Powderfinger » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:14 pm

202703 wrote:
dfs42 wrote:

We were also surprised by how low the food quality was. The Osso Bucco at Unik, which was great last year, now tastes like Dinty Moore stew. We both ordered the "T-Bone" at Aphrodite. They were full of gristle, and had no T-bones in them. We both sent them back and ordered something else. Yes, the food is now on par with Applebee's. The food we were served for dinner made us feel like our business was being taken for granted. The high carbohydrate choices might be okay, but we wouldn't know.

What, you didn't like your 1/4" thick "T-bone"?!?! LOL

You're not being fair to Applebee's....Applebee's would have been awesome compared to Aphrodite, we would have eaten there every night!
RMJan'08,'12,'16,'17Jan/Feb'09,'10,'11Feb'18June'13July'12,'14,'19July/Aug'10,'11,'15,'16,'17,'21Spt'09 Dec'18','19,'20
DPJuly'13July/Aug'18
Powderfinger
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 11 Dec 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby Explorer79 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:48 pm

202703 wrote:We were also surprised by how low the food quality was. The Osso Bucco at Unik, which was great last year, now tastes like Dinty Moore stew. We both ordered the "T-Bone" at Aphrodite. They were full of gristle, and had no T-bones in them. We both sent them back and ordered something else. Yes, the food is now on par with Applebee's. The food we were served for dinner made us feel like our business was being taken for granted. The high carbohydrate choices might be okay, but we wouldn't know.

Hey, I like Dinty Moore lol. But that description actually sounds worse than Applebee's.
\m/
Explorer79
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 17 Oct 2019

Postby LetsH4veCoffee » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:44 pm

Explorer79 wrote:I never really understood why someone would want to get wasted at Desire. I can't think of much worse than feeling like total shit the next day only to hear "Dude you had the best time last night", but remember little to none of it. That could be done in the alley back home for much cheaper.

We were there and witnessed this guy getting pulled out of the hot tub. Explorer79, said the same thing as you at the time. Why in the world would you come to Desire to get blackout drunk every day? It was a scary scene, but I think the guy and his wife had far more responsibility in this than the resort. That couple CLEARLY were not making even halfway reasoned decisions day after day when it came to alcohol consumption. We tried to avoid even speaking to them. It just wasn’t a good experience.

Debate of responsibility aside though, we have to agree that there’s a marked decline in food, service and even entertainment from our previous trips. Really got the feeling management is investing elsewhere. First time in 8 trips we were not bummed to leave.
LetsH4veCoffee
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 28 Apr 2024

Next

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Pearl