First Time, Never Returning - July 2018

Please contribute Desire Pearl Trip reports here

Re: First Time, Never Returning - July 2018

Postby Don & Jeanne » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:22 pm

I wonder if the extra bucks for emergency medical care (at booking) makes a deffrence in responce...
Don of (Don & Jeanne)
Kasidie & Kik: DueTeste
MeWe: Due Teste
Don & Jeanne
Desire Lover

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 13 Aug 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasadie

Postby 202703 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:05 am

Powderfinger wrote:
202703 wrote:
dfs42 wrote:

What, you didn't like your 1/4" thick "T-bone"?!?! LOL

You're not being fair to Applebee's....Applebee's would have been awesome compared to Aphrodite, we would have eaten there every night!

You're right, I wasn't being fair to Applebee's. If they served food this bad it would have closed many years ago. The steak at Aphrodite is what I imagine a steak from Dollar Tree would be like.

We arrive on: 08 Aug 2017

Postby 2naked » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:38 am

Your expectations may be just a bit too high. Just a reminder, this is not the US where there is so much litigation and liability fears that you get to rely on it being everyone else’s job to take care of you. This is Mexico and I for one, love the fact that it does not treat you like a child and requires people to have some personal responsibility. I guess I’m just a different sort of person. I don’t expect a hotel worker to be responsible for passed out drunks. I don’t wish death on anyone but if he had died, I would place the blame solely on him and not the hotel. I don’t expect the food to be 5 star every meal. Again, this is Mexico, not the US. You are paying high dollar to be at this type of resort, not for Michelin Star rated restaurants. I like to keep moderate expectations so that when they are exceeded, I am even happier.
25 Desire trips since Apr-2011
2 Hedo trips
SLS: WeR2Naked
KIK: Heis2naked
2naked
Desire Addict

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 01 Sep 2022
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS-SZC-KIK

Postby 202703 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:39 am

2naked wrote:Your expectations may be just a bit too high. Just a reminder, this is not the US where there is so much litigation and liability fears that you get to rely on it being everyone else’s job to take care of you. This is Mexico and I for one, love the fact that it does not treat you like a child and requires people to have some personal responsibility. I guess I’m just a different sort of person. I don’t expect a hotel worker to be responsible for passed out drunks. I don’t wish death on anyone but if he had died, I would place the blame solely on him and not the hotel. I don’t expect the food to be 5 star every meal. Again, this is Mexico, not the US. You are paying high dollar to be at this type of resort, not for Michelin Star rated restaurants. I like to keep moderate expectations so that when they are exceeded, I am even happier.

Yeah, if someone wants to pull a "Leaving Las Vegas" there's not much anyone can do. I agree. Keeping your expectations low is now a must to avoid disappointment. Bring MRE's for them to heat and you'll be the envy of every other diner.

We arrive on: 08 Aug 2017

Postby desireaddict » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:27 am

First time in 8 trips we were not bummed to leave.

THAT is a horrible thought!
Only felt that way one time and it was just too many nights -- no more 14 day trips!

Sadly, management will not change until membership sales decline.
When that happens, they might sit up and pay attention to what is wrong.
Once they have a guaranteed clientele "locked in" by means of the membership they have no fears about having to provide a level of service that brings people back.
“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body. But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming .... Holy Shit! what a ride.”
desireaddict
Desire Legend

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 11 Dec 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: c4p

Postby 22truckie » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:57 am

Well put 2naked. I agree. Those people are the ones who are responsable. There is too much of " I'm not responsable for my actions, but I will sue,... and win" in this country (USA). It just takes one irresponsible couple to ruin it for many people. We just got back from Pearl. True there was a bit of a drop in food quality at times but it was not all the time as we had very good food as well ( 10/30 - 11/8). The service was noticeably down. We still love the place and go to enjoy each other and the ( mostly lol ) great people we meet each year. We don't expect PERFECTION and try and always look at the positive, but have to say, a drunk, passed out drooling idiot would definitely put a damper on things. Blame the idiot, not the resort. Dont let him ruin the place for you, just my opinion
22truckie
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 30 Oct 2018

Postby OKcouple4x » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:15 pm

I'll post a quick reply to this - Never, ever, waste your time on steaks in Mexico. We learned that a long time ago, and not just this resort. If you are from an area with a lot of beef production, you will be extremely disappointed. We are from Oklahoma - any of the nearby non-chain steakhouses offer an 8oz sirloin for $20 that is 50x as good as a top fillet or ribeye in Mexico. We are completely spoiled in that regard.

Stick with the seafood or fowl (duck for example from Pearl). The salmon is always fantastic there for dinner, and the flat grilled shrimp blows away almost everything else they do. They used to cook it outside of the buffet restaurant during the day sometimes and it almost always better than the normal dinner options. Here's a little secret as well - if you don't see anything that really appeals to you then ASK for their grilled shrimp and they will meet your request.
Looking for fun in our travels :)
OKcouple4x
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 26 Nov 2023

Previous

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Pearl