Pearl Guest Services response to recent unfavourable reviews

Please contribute Desire Pearl Trip reports here

Pearl Guest Services response to recent unfavourable reviews

Postby Meet ya on the beach » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:23 pm

Hey gang,

I just got off the phone with Antonio Salas, Guest Services Manager at Pearl. I had sent a note (3 times) outlining some of the issues we have seen in recent reviews around food, service, and seaweed and expressing our concerns, and he called me about 1/2 hour ago.

Nice fellow, very accommodating and eager to reassure.

On the seaweed, he expressed that they are out there cleaning it every day (that's not as other reviewers have reported, but he assures me it's now the case), and while they are doing their best, the entire Caribbean is suffering from the same issues. Let's call it climate change just for kicks. He was very earnest in his explanation and his assurance that they are out there every day. And so we'll see when we arrive Sep 1.

On the food, I was very clear that it seemed like the quality had seriously declined in just the past few months, and that was according to folks who had been there several times and now were determined not to return based on this issue. He told me that they have had the same executive chef for a number of years, they work very hard to be sure everyone is happy and accommodated, and they take food quality very seriously. He didn't directly give any reason for a reported decline in quality, but again he was very earnest while assuring me that we won't be disappointed.

He will be meeting us at the front when we arrive on Sep 1, as will Edgar, the Front Desk manager. He offered to introduce me at that time to the chef and to the management of the resort, in case I had any further concerns that they might be able to address.

Frankly, that's about the best response I could have expected. He called me, expressed his concern over our concern, reassured me that we won't feel the issues we brought up, and offered more action if I want/need it. The proof will be in the pudding, of course, and we'll report when we're back.

J&M
kik: johnandmaryc
Meet ya on the beach
Desire Convert

We are from: Canada
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 01 Sep 2018

Re: Pearl Guest Services response to recent unfavourable rev

Postby Meet ya on the beach » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:40 pm

And we also just received an email from Alberto Martinez, Pearl Manager, ensuring that Antonio had called me and had answered all of my concerns. Very nice.

J&M
Meet ya on the beach
Desire Convert

Postby RJOC » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:39 pm

When we visit, there are a couple guys out at the beach every day raking, scooping and cleaning the seaweed off the beach. They work at it each day to ensure those staying at the resort can enjoy the beach the best they can. Unfortunately, with every wave, brings a new batch of seaweed - so you'll always see some. Some times of the year it is worse than others.

I tipped those guys at the beach, as it doesn't look like they get much positive feedback for what they are trying to accomplish - it's like pushing water uphill...
RJOC
Desire Superstar

We are from: USA
We arrive on: 24 Jan 2024

Postby KandR » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:46 pm

Thanks for posting this. Have a reservation for mid-Sept, but really I don’t see any reassurance from the response you got from the manager. Doesn’t address the food quality at all, or the complaints about management. After the reviews I read from seasoned vets, I would have preferred to hear that they changed vendors and/or staff, and management. Having serious doubts about going now. May change reservation or just keep my pants on and go somewhere with higher quality service and food and beverage. Bummer. I don’t need to be stressed out on my vacay!
KandR

Postby wbski85 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:52 am

On our last visit back in early July, we stayed at another resort nearby just 10 minutes up by taxi for 3 nights prior to DP. At that beach, they too struggled with seaweed situation. We were told they've never seen it this bad. So can't blame DP for the seaweed situation. They're doing their best.
wbski85
Desire Superstar

Postby kryptic4l » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:57 pm

I just got back yesterday, I will confirm they are cleaning the seaweed and watched many wheel barrows go by over the last few days. I will also confirm, that looking at the condition of the ocean at the moment, I would of let it slide had they not. Just chasing their tails around at the moment.
kryptic4l

Postby meercat » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:36 pm

We still have two trips booked this year..one in September and one in November, Both for eight days....after reading the reviews and talking with friends who just returned I feel we may be canceling our November trip. We have had a couple issues that we addressed to management over the last year which appears to fall on deaf ears. We are not high maintenance people, and if anything are the opposite but feel if the changes to the restaurants become permanent that will be a final deal breaker. There are lots of high quality resorts that serve quality food and have better entertainment for a lot less cost. And if we have to wear bathing suits so be it. It makes us sad because it used to be a magical place that seemed to recharge our spirits. oh but we highly recommend taking the sensual massage fun with LnR, one of the highlights on our last visit in March.....and their podcast, room 77, is one of the best, very easy listening and funny as well. You two crack us up Lol

D&G
SLS and Kasidie: Meercat55
meercat
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 17 Nov 2020
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS Kasidie

Postby Powderfinger » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:33 am

Calling you back is a big plus in his favor, but what he actually said is the usual generic non-response given to negative reviews on Trip Advisor (when they deign to respond to those at all), and at best it pretty much completely glossed over the myriad food complaints. Honestly though, what else could he say?

The seaweed issue is not really their problem, it's everywhere. Flying in to CUN you could see vast mats of brown as we approached the peninsula, hopefully the government plan to catch it before it can reach the beaches of the Riviera Maya is successful.
RMJan'08,'12,'16,'17Jan/Feb'09,'10,'11Feb'18June'13July'12,'14,'19July/Aug'10,'11,'15,'16,'17,'21Spt'09 Dec'18','19,'20
DPJuly'13July/Aug'18
Powderfinger
Desire Legend

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 11 Dec 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby tikihutguy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:15 pm

wbski85 wrote:On our last visit back in early July, we stayed at another resort nearby just 10 minutes up by taxi for 3 nights prior to DP. At that beach, they too struggled with seaweed situation. We were told they've never seen it this bad. So can't blame DP for the seaweed situation. They're doing their best.

Not just a Desire or Mexico problem. See the following for a great overview of the current situation:
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/06/ ... an-islands
:o
Guess we'll just have to grin and bare it :D
tikihutguy
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 18 May 2023

Postby UsAndYou » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:31 pm

tikihutguy wrote:
wbski85 wrote:On our last visit back in early July, we stayed at another resort nearby just 10 minutes up by taxi for 3 nights prior to DP. At that beach, they too struggled with seaweed situation. We were told they've never seen it this bad. So can't blame DP for the seaweed situation. They're doing their best.

Not just a Desire or Mexico problem. See the following for a great overview of the current situation:
:L

"Sex on the beach" always sounded better than it really is anyway....too much sand gets into places you don't want it :(

...so we will see everyone up by the jacuzzi! No sand OR seaweed to contend with!
UsAndYou
Desire Devotee

Postby Meet ya on the beach » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:45 am

Powderfinger wrote:Calling you back is a big plus in his favor, but what he actually said is the usual generic non-response given to negative reviews on Trip Advisor (when they deign to respond to those at all), and at best it pretty much completely glossed over the myriad food complaints. Honestly though, what else could he say?

The seaweed issue is not really their problem, it's everywhere. Flying in to CUN you could see vast mats of brown as we approached the peninsula, hopefully the government plan to catch it before it can reach the beaches of the Riviera Maya is successful.

That's the thing: what else could he say? He called, did his best to reassure me, and as I noted that's all I could expect.

Frankly, the strategy wasn't to have them convince me the problem was solved, it was just to catch their attention. We will be met when we check in by both the front desk manager (back from vacation the day we arrive) and the manager, to ensure we have a smooth entry. So that's good, and the rest is up to fate. :)

See y'all there!
Meet ya on the beach
Desire Convert

Postby Bigmac08 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:14 am

UsAndYou wrote:
tikihutguy wrote:

:L

"Sex on the beach" always sounded better than it really is anyway....too much sand gets into places you don't want it :(

...so we will see everyone up by the jacuzzi! No sand OR seaweed to contend with!

It actually makes for a nice outing on the beach. Nobody walks the beach anymore so it’s very private...I can attest!
Bigmac08

We arrive on: 25 Jul 2018

Postby Lkncouple » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:05 am

Meet ya on the beach wrote:
Powderfinger wrote:Calling you back is a big plus in his favor, but what he actually said is the usual generic non-response given to negative reviews on Trip Advisor (when they deign to respond to those at all), and at best it pretty much completely glossed over the myriad food complaints. Honestly though, what else could he say?

That's the thing: what else could he say? He called, did his best to reassure me, and as I noted that's all I could expect.

Frankly, the strategy wasn't to have them convince me the problem was solved, it was just to catch their attention. We will be met when we check in by both the front desk manager (back from vacation the day we arrive) and the manager, to ensure we have a smooth entry. So that's good, and the rest is up to fate. :)

See y'all there!

He basically said nothing has changed, yet peoples reviews are definitely saying something has changed. So what I would have expected is for him to say, we have received the feedback and here are our plans to improve. He should have given you a list. Basically, he told you nothing has changed and other than meeting you personally, nothing will change. To me the most surprising thing is that with all the negative feedback, they don't already have a plan in place. it tells me that they are not reading the feedback, they don't care, or they can't fix the issues so they are playing dumb(Either a financial issue or a knowledge issue).
Lkncouple
Desire Superstar

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 19 Jan 2018

Postby Meet ya on the beach » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:13 am

Lkncouple wrote:
He basically said nothing has changed, yet peoples reviews are definitely saying something has changed. So what I would have expected is for him to say, we have received the feedback and here are our plans to improve. He should have given you a list. Basically, he told you nothing has changed and other than meeting you personally, nothing will change. To me the most surprising thing is that with all the negative feedback, they don't already have a plan in place. it tells me that they are not reading the feedback, they don't care, or they can't fix the issues so they are playing dumb(Either a financial issue or a knowledge issue).

Sure, lots of things he could have done. :) In fairness, reading recent reviews on TA and most of them are glowing; there are the few exceptions that we've all noted. I'm a 'see it for myself" kind of guy, and so I'm not going to light my hair on fire just yet, we'll go, make our own judgement, and then decide for the future. The fate of the world doesn't rest on it and I'm sure we won't starve. I always eat too much on vacation anyway. :P
Meet ya on the beach
Desire Convert

Postby K&S4Fun&Sun » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:50 pm

We've been away from the Pearl for a couple of years. First one thing, then another. Blah blah blah....all adds up to pants on all the damn time. While a bit curious about changes we're going to dive back in and see what happens. Mostly we go for no pants, endless drinks and beautiful views. The food was never a highlight for us in the past so.....we'll see. I just hope they haven't messed up breakfast! 8)
Have a great day! Hope to see you in the future.
K & S ~o) :US
K&S4Fun&Sun
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 06 Jun 2019
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Next

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Pearl