Trip Report May 1-6, 2019 First Time Visit

Please contribute Desire Pearl Trip reports here

Trip Report May 1-6, 2019 First Time Visit

Postby Laylaandmark » Wed May 08, 2019 1:18 pm

This was our first trip to any clothing optional resort. We are not in the lifestyle but the concept seemed exciting and fun! There was alot of good and alot of bad with this resort so I'll do my best to try to organize things.

We arrived on wednesday afternoon. The resort does a good job of explaining the rules and there was 0 sales pitch that we received! Normally every other resort we get a high pressure sales pitch right when you get in the door. Our room wasn't ready but we were able to change at the Spa go get lunch and by the time we finished our room was ready.

Room- Our room was on the top floor. This would have been great but walking up 4-5 flights of stairs got really old after the first day. Our view was great of the ocean but pretty obstructed by palm trees of the pool and jacuzzi. Our beds in the room were awful super super hard. The last night my wife and i tossed and turned all night long. We always had hot water. I really would say our only complaint with the room was the awful beds and the hike up the stairs.

Food: We loved the grill night! We got a nice big t-bone at no extra cost. The variety of food seemed to be lacking in my opinion. basically you have 2 restaurants that have the same 3 or 4 menues that they swap around. In fact the first night at Afrodite was Italian and we said night 2 lets go to Pearl once we sat down we discovered it was the exact same menu we had the night before. We thought different restaurant different food but not so. The food looked great but except for grill night it wasn't mind blowing. On top of this my wife got sick on day 3 and by the last day I was sick as well. I know this happens in Mexico and most of the time we get a tad bit of an upset stomach wherever we go down there but this is so bad that we are home now and are still sick and we've been in the states over 48 hours. It really put a huge damper on the entire vacation. Oh and Pablo at Afrodite was amazing! The wait staff was top top top notch but we particularly liked him. What we really could not even come close to understanding is that they require a reservation at Pearl. So you get a 7pm reservation get there and the place is half empty. No big deal except for one night we wanted to go to Pearl and couldn't because we waited to late to get in our reservation out of curiosity I said lets take a walk down there and see after we got done eating at Afrodite and the place was half empty.

Entertainment/Atmosphere: The environment is really cool. Yes we saw people having sex by the jacuzzi. The Foam party was the highlight of the trip! Unfortunately with getting sick we only made it down for the nightly entertainment for 1 night. The people at this resort are very very friendly and all the staff will go out of there way to do whatever they can for you.

Pool: It was a tad cold a few days basically if the sun wasn't out it felt cold and there was a few others that said the same thing. It wasn't cold enough to keep you out of the pool but it was a tad on the cold side. The pool activities where pretty neat and the playmakers did a great job of keeping things lively. We never reserved any chairs but if we wanted to we could always find a pool chair to lay out on. The pool towels were great to they are really big!

Beach: There is no beach lol well it was there just covered in seaweed and brown nasty water. I understand that its nature but we walked about a half mile down the shoreline and then a beach started up again and just got better the further down you got... If fact the resorts that you come up to maybe a mile down had a great beach so I'm not sure whats going on at desire.

As far as wildlife we saw birds including pelicans and just a few iguanas. Most of the time when we go to Mexico at other resorts we've seen Coati, Deer lots of Iguana Racoons tons of wildlife. The pier was kind of neat though because of the fish we could go look at!

We don't plan to return at this point in time. It was kind of a bummer for us because we really really liked the concept but wish that this resorts concept could be uprooted and put into other resorts that we have been to. All in all it was a bit of a disappointment which really took me a few days of letting it soak in to come to that realization. Really because we did like the concept so much. all in all we'd probably give this a 3 out of 5 and like I said probably not return but who knows what life could bring us!

On another note the construction was no big deal at all for those going soon and wondering
Laylaandmark

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 01 May 2019

Re: Trip Report May 1-6 First Time Visit

Postby TandD » Thu May 09, 2019 6:52 am

Interesting. I was surprised when I got to your conclusion that you would (probably) not return. Up to that point, it sounded like you were generally positive aside from a few issues. I re-read the review to see what I missed that you didn't like and it seems like it was primarily getting sick? Sorry that happened and I can imagine that would really put a damper on things and color your whole impression. Do you have any thoughts on how it may have happened?

Did you brush your teeth with the tap water or anything like that? I have read other posts from people who got sick but it seems somewhat rare (although we certainly don't hear from everyone who goes of course).

Thanks for your review. It's always good to hear all about everyone's experiences.
TandD
Desire Legend

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 06 Jun 2019

Re: Trip Report May 1-6, 2019 First Time Visit

Postby warmwaves » Sat May 18, 2019 12:22 pm

Thanks for the trip report. Being sick is the worst but it has happened to us at the finest of resorts, in many countries. All it takes is one piece of tainted food, or an employee not following best practice food sanitation. It takes the fun out of an otherwise pretty good experience. As TandD said it sounds like you were having fun, except for some usual issues. We are usually beach people, but yes the seaweed kept us at the pool. We would probably hang out at the pool there anyhow in the future because of all the fun things going on. The EC's were fantastic. Should you happen to wind up there again in the future we'd be interested to hear if it was better for you!
warmwaves
Desire Lover

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Pearl