So you think hotel/resort electronic room safes are SAFE !!!

Check this section for info on Desire Riviera Maya before you post general questions in the other forums. Someone may have already provided a great answer for you here.

So you think hotel/resort electronic room safes are SAFE !!!

Postby CokeMann » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:19 pm

Please use the forum links to book directly with Desire RM, Desire Pearl or the Desire Cruises.
This will help keep the forums economically self sustaining and Ad free for all to use.
CokeMann
Site Admin

We are from: Canada

Postby Ron » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:27 pm

Holy shit!!!!!!!! Same exact safe as they had in our rooms. Ya remember the one's that they broke into and stole the money? Same kind as they claimed were "safe proof". Never did get an apology, refund, free dinner, NADA and I'm sure the 8 or 9 other couples didn't hear word one from the resort. Glad you reminded me. I'll make sure they replace my safe with a lock and key type as The Poor One and myself did. Sort of like closing the barn door after the moose get's out. Total time 1 minute 28 seconds. Tools= 1--- 9 V battery & 1 small screw driver. (Damn, been in Canada way too long) :idea:
Ron
Desire Devotee

Postby Blondie » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:08 pm

WILL THEY replace the electronic safe on request? We arrive on Thursday, so this is pretty important info for us now!

Thanks!
Debbie
Blondie

Postby that guy » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:02 pm

Blondie wrote:WILL THEY replace the electronic safe on request? We arrive on Thursday, so this is pretty important info for us now!

Thanks!
Debbie

Can anyone answer her question???? thanks..... :D
that guy
Desire Convert

Postby CokeMann » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:19 pm

Last year when several of our group members had significant cash stolen from their locked electronic safes(as per model illustrated above) they Desire management agreed to replace those peoples safes with the older mechanical type - sort of closing the door After the horse left the barn .....

I have no idea if they will replace them on request - I simply posted the above public video as a service to illustrate how UNsafe these units are
Please use the forum links to book directly with Desire RM, Desire Pearl or the Desire Cruises.
This will help keep the forums economically self sustaining and Ad free for all to use.
CokeMann
Site Admin

safe

Postby Blondie » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:39 am

the safe in our room has had those screws on the name plate drilled out so a screwdriver can't be used on it. we feel it is pretty secure after this modification.
Debbie (waving at all from the lobby bar!!)
Blondie

Postby that guy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:01 pm

Hi Debbie in the lobby bar.....thanks for the info.... :D
that guy
Desire Convert

Postby jmich6969 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:33 pm

So besides the group of us from last year. Does anybody know if it has been happening since or has it stopped(got the person)

J&M
jmich6969
Desire Fan

Postby that guy » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:08 pm

jmich6969 wrote:So besides the group of us from last year. Does anybody know if it has been happening since or has it stopped(got the person)

J&M

???????? Anyone know?
that guy
Desire Convert

Postby JCnBadboy » Thu May 28, 2009 11:36 am

The bad things from last year were isolated. We made a...special inquiry and got some inside info. The person responsible has been fired. As far as the safe goes, we have never had anything disappear from the safe. Nothing.
Most nights JC is a little tipsy and leaves shit out anyway. Nothing has ever been missing from our rooms. Even when its left right out.
Always remember though, you dont bring your most valuable valuables on vacation. You could lose them anywhere. Dont bring your Rolex or your Hope Diamond, you might as well just paint a big red target on your back.
If you go all flashy and dripping with diamonds and gold. you will attract attention that you dont need...
Who wants to worry about that stuff while in the paradise of Desire..or the Yucatan in general. Get naked.
JCnBadboy
Desire Devotee

Postby SushiGirl » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:17 pm

We keep anything we don't want to disappear in our LOCKING suitcase...no matter where we go. Just an idea!
SushiGirl
Desire Fan

Postby oldseadog » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:34 am

We have a suitcase with combination locks.
When we last went to USA, we left the combination numbers in the "open" position as required, but one of them must have moved, perhaps on the baggage conveyor belt or something, and the lock locked itself.
US Customs broke the lock on entry into USA.
So how safe is your locked suitcase?
The bottom line is never take anything of value on holiday.
And before you ask, yes we keep things like passports etc. in our locked suitcase - it's about all you can do unless the hotel has safe deposit boxes in the office. And even then.......... .
oldseadog
Desire Addict

We are from: UK

Postby Yankeefan » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:38 pm

been there 4x, left money, cameras and jewelry in plain site in our room...never had an issue
SLS: Yankeefans
Yankeefan
Desire Addict

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 13 Aug 2017
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby 2batdesire » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:07 pm

I guess we will have to chime in also. We have been there 2x a year since July 2003 (minus the one visit that the 2005 hurricane wiped out) faithfully. We have never lost anything - except for my Cosabella thongs that I had laundered and placed on the back porch of our ground-floor room in the garden-side of Building 10, in August of 2006. Everyone laughed about it, but hey, they WERE $20 bucks a pop, so it was not like snitching candy off a shelf.

Seriously, we don't flaunt the nice things we have. The good jewelry we bring, we wear every day. It never gets in the room unless we are there with it.

We too have a locked suitcase. I bring combination locks (separately) and put them on the suitcase once we get there. We use the safe also.

I say, act like a normal human being, don't flaunt anything, treat the employees with respect and everything will be fine.
2batdesire
Desire Lover

Postby SushiGirl » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:53 pm

Oldseadog, our bag has a small lock on it that requires a key, we didn't bother with the combination lock suitcase. Only thing we put in there was the cash, hidden of course. Camera & laptop were left in the room the last 3 years & never bothered.
SushiGirl
Desire Fan

Next

Return to Frequently Asked Questions about Desire Riviera Maya