In isolation at Desire

Please contribute Desire Pearl Trip reports here

Re: In isolation at Desire

Postby boygirlnextdoor2u » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:42 pm

LuckySevens wrote:
boygirlnextdoor2u wrote:
Whoneedssunscreencpl wrote:We have been to Desire properties over 20 times over the years. We have not been in almost 2 years. Are currently at Pearl, and it has been a new experience, to say the least.

A couple we know had been exposed here to another couple who then tested positive for Covid. The couple here began experiencing symptoms and did the right thing. They got tested and also tested positive. A couple of days later we began experiencing symptoms. Since we brought our own test kit, we used it and tested positive. We told the resort, who told us we had to isolate in our room. We are not even allowed at the beach, which we get to some extent.

Since the United States requires a negative antigen test the day before return, and since we knew we would not test negative by yesterday morning, we extended our stay three nights until Tuesday, changing all of our travel plans. The resort stated that we could stay up to 10 additional days at a reduced rate of $300 per night.

Canada and parts of Europe require negative PCR tests. One couple we spoke with from our balcony down to the sidewalk, stated that the testers here told them that 60% of the tests have been coming back positive! That is crazy!

So, we are currently in isolation. The major problem has been room service has been taking up to three hours to bring food/drink and longer to bring toilet paper and Kleenex. Literally sitting in the room weak and starving.

We thought folks who are on the fence about possibly delaying their trips might be interested in our current experience.

Really appreciate this post, especially the Covid bit. We had friends staying at RM the same time you were at Pearl. They reported they tested negative and they were unaware that anyone was sick at the resort. We're headed to Pearl (maybe) on the 24th. Your trip report makes it sound like Covid is widespread among the guests. As Canadians who need a PCR test we're struggling with making the decision to go or cancel. Today is the drop dead date for final payment or forfeit deposit. Trying to figure out if this is going to be worth it or to push the trip by a few months. Appreciate any feedback or advice.

Depends when your trip is. Omicron is HIGHLY infectious, and fortunately not very pathogenic. Here's the chart from South Africa where it started, and where it has now ended. The spike is very steep on the way up, but just as steep on the way down. Compared to other spikes, it's only a couple months in duration... this data pis playing out much the same in the UK and US/Canada. Depending on when your trip is, you can almost guarantee it'll be over by a certain date, likely :

SOUTH AFRICA

CANADA

Hadn't seen the graph from a timeline perspective but well aware of the shape and had modelled it in my head. Very useful. Also factoring in that each trip is a unique event as guests are constantly arriving and departing so what happens one week is not necessarily an indication of what will happen the next. Different than a stable and repeatable pattern of extended behaviour in a school, workplace or social circle. HMMM. Lots to think about. Appreciate the info.
Back again. Always up for making new friends.
KIK: pushboundaries
Kasidie better2gether4us
boygirlnextdoor2u
Desire Lover

We are from: Canada
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 18 Apr 2022
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie

Postby LuckySevens » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:45 pm

Yeah, kind of exactly 2 months, and y'all started early December. Seems the Canada/US spike will be over somewhere near early February? Something like that?
Pearl: 11/20, 3/21, 3/22, 3/23, 6/23, 3/24
RM: 6/21
LuckySevens
Desire Addict

We are from: USA
We arrive on: 14 Jun 2023

Postby Whoneedssunscreencpl » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:49 pm

Covid is literally everywhere. RM and Pearl are not exempt. We think the resort is actually handling it rather well. We all just have to decide what risk tolerance we have. We figured we would probably get Omichron at home anyway. Of course, we also have to factor in ruining a great Desire vacation.

That said, one of our balcony neighbors is still testing positive and is still stuck here even longer.
Whoneedssunscreencpl
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 02 Jan 2022

Postby Bruce&Pam » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:38 pm

Whoneedssunscreencpl wrote:We have not done the resort test yet, because it is expensive

Is Pearl now charging for the test to come back home? When we last went in May, they weren't charging.

---Bruce
Bruce&Pam
Desire Devotee

We arrive on: 03 Feb 2023

Postby boygirlnextdoor2u » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:12 pm

Bruce&Pam wrote:
Whoneedssunscreencpl wrote:We have not done the resort test yet, because it is expensive

Is Pearl now charging for the test to come back home? When we last went in May, they weren't charging.

---Bruce

Our friends were charged $110 for their PCR test at DRM last week. So the answer is yes.
Back again. Always up for making new friends.
KIK: pushboundaries
Kasidie better2gether4us
boygirlnextdoor2u
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 18 Apr 2022
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie

Postby tj71903 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:11 pm

LuckySevens wrote:Hopefully, as COVID exits the pandemic phase, and enters the endemic phase these requirements such as isolation and testing for international travel will go away sooner than later. We don’t isolate or test for the flu or common cold, and Omicron is that, by every measure. Our hope is very sincerely that by April at the latest COVID will just be another cold, or flu, that goes around.

Stay strong and healthy out there!

Election year.
tj71903
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 26 Dec 2020

Postby Vixen and Him » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:19 pm

tj71903 wrote:
LuckySevens wrote:Hopefully, as COVID exits the pandemic phase, and enters the endemic phase these requirements such as isolation and testing for international travel will go away sooner than later. We don’t isolate or test for the flu or common cold, and Omicron is that, by every measure. Our hope is very sincerely that by April at the latest COVID will just be another cold, or flu, that goes around.

Election year.

I agree ! If you’re unvaccinated and die who cares. If you die you die. I’m down for that. And who cares if we infect all of Mexico. Even the people at the resorts we claim we love. :US
Vixen and Him
Desire Superstar

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 04 Jan 2024

Postby tj71903 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:12 pm

toledocpl wrote:
tj71903 wrote:

Election year.

I agree ! If you’re unvaccinated and die who cares. If you die you die. I’m down for that. And who cares if we infect all of Mexico. Even the people at the resorts we claim we love. :US

Bit dramatic, but OK.

If you're unvaccinated at this point it's either your choice or your circumstance (i.e. medically, you can't). The vaccination is widely available. Whether or not you want to take it or think you need it or whatever is up to you. In general I find most adults can conduct themselves on a day to day basis to varying degrees and that includes risk calculation. Plenty of information out there regarding this thing and people can and should make their own decisions.

As far as Mexico goes, it's there regardless. Same as the rest of the world. The staff and workers there are vaccinated and as protected as anyone can be. Probably more than most given their environment.

None of this, of course, addresses the point that was made which is the hope that the CDC will relax its recommendations and the administration will adjust to the reality. My counter point was that this is an election year and therefore the administration will likely want to be seen as doing something, regardless if if it logical or helpful or not. The merits of "doing something" aren't really part of the discussion.
tj71903
Desire Superstar

Postby LuckySevens » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:29 am

toledocpl wrote:
tj71903 wrote:

Election year.

Okay. Done being "polite".

SHOW ME ONE STAT about people dying from Omicron. One. Can you? I'll post all the facts you want. Call me out, please... happy to do it. Or are we just done with science? Is it just infections? Do we have stats on how many people get the cold each year? How many people wind up dying both FROM and WITH the cold each year? Even the CDC, NIH, WHO and every other science-based organization says the same now-a-days.

Here's the science: Pandemics follow a predictable path

1. Low infectivity, high pathology
2. Medium infectivity, medium pathology
3. High infectivity, low pathology

THIS IS NOT WHAT IT WAS TWO YEARS AGO, Toledo! We're in #3. Omicron is a GOOD THING. It infects a ton of people, hospitalizes few, kills almost none. This holier-than-thou "If you die you die" BS is over.

I agree with the "follow the science" mantra. Let's do that.

P.S. This is from two people who got COVID in 2020 AND vaccinated in 2021... not weird right-wing conspiracy nuts
LuckySevens
Desire Addict

Postby tj71903 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:15 am

We too had Covid the elder in 2020, got double vaccinated, and got Omicron in Mexico no less.

Fortunately none of them a big deal other than an inconvenience
tj71903
Desire Superstar

Postby funfrenzy » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:35 pm

No desire to get in the middle of this... don't usually ever comment, but gotta say...

...kinda hard to take seriously someone who actually says "You die, You die. I'm down with that"...

In what forum is that actually acceptable. Not just dramatic, but hateful and unnecessary. A real show of compassion for those infected with a virus they had no hand in creating, no desire to contract and no willful targeted distribution more than ANYONE else; vaccinated, triple vaccinated or not vaccinated. Plain ol' discrimination seems to be the new fad I guess under the cloak of "social kindness/responsibilty".
funfrenzy
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 01 Aug 2019
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC Kasidie

Postby AandJ » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:08 pm

Because of the close contact at Desire, we went to a large vanilla resort.
N99 on the way there.
Surgical level 3 mask at the resort.
We tested PCR negative 2d before departure.
Relaxed and ate indoor the last day.
What do you you know I got tested positive PCR on arrival at the airport and have mild symptoms the next day.
We're triple vaxxed, work in health care so know about proper hygiene technique, can't figure out where I picked it up other than one smaller Japanese restaurant we ate at (which is much larger than DRM restaurants).
Somehow I still got it by slightly relaxing the last day.
I can't imagine not becoming positive at a smaller and close contact resort (what's the point of going to Desire otherwise?).
AandJ
Desire Devotee

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 01 Aug 2019

Postby Whoneedssunscreencpl » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:24 pm

Yep
Whoneedssunscreencpl
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 02 Jan 2022

Postby LuckySevens » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:29 pm

100%

Again, we don’t test or delay trips, or stay away from places like Desire for fear of the cold or flu… I think MOST trips to Desire I’ve come home with some little sniffle or something. For Omicron, that’s what we’re looking at now. It’s endemic and we need to change our thinking from “avoid at all costs” to “I sure hope I don’t have to deal with that”, the same as we do for a cold or flu. If your personal health situation makes something like the flu or omicron dangerous, you need to make adjustments to your behavior.

Truly hope policies change soon after Omicron has settled so we can get back to life.
LuckySevens
Desire Addict

Postby Whoneedssunscreencpl » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:55 pm

Yep!
Whoneedssunscreencpl
Desire Addict