June 13th – 20th 2022: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Please contribute Desire Riviera Maya Trip reports here

June 13th – 20th 2022: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Postby cbakid1 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:58 am

Just some background, this was our second trip to RM and we’ve been to Pearl twice previously. This was our longest stay at seven days, and so we had more time to enjoy all the offerings than the previous trips which were between 4 – 5 days each. We are not in the LS, but we do enjoy the freedom of the atmosphere.

The Good

Where do I start… there is so much to include in the good category.
It should be noted that although we are not members, the staff really made us feel “premium” in this all inclusive. From the restaurant staff to the pool staff to the front desk staff, we felt like we were family by the second day. They remembered us and our preferences and were even prepared for us, like the waiters at breakfast who had our hot beverages ready with a smile. My wife forgot some makeup at home and when we went to get directions on where we could get some makeup, Emmanuel from the Premier desk just took it upon himself to get it for us so we never had to leave the hotel. Such a life-saver!

The Playmakers on this trip were one of the most cohesive and involved groups that we have encountered, so far. Yuni, Monica, Stephanie, Kevin, and Jerry… they all really went above and beyond both during the day, around the pool and beach, and at the shows at night. They were full of energy and always had a smile and cheeky comment. Very nice. Even the on-site testing lab manager made us feel at ease while taking our Covid-19 tests, which we still needed to re-enter our country at the time.

We came prepared to part-take in the theme nights. As a result, we ended up over prepared and over packed. But it was so worth it. We enjoyed every night, be it at the disco, the playroom, hot tub or some combination of the three.

Sahlo and Suki were very good. And we were able to get reservations almost every night despite the hotel being pretty full. So for six nights we had very sexy, intimate dinners with each other at Sahlo and very sexy shared dinners at Suki, where we met up with people both planned and unplanned. The food was great and there were some new things to try. The dinner buffet at El Arrecife was not our style.

We were lucky enough to have a great group for our week, which included some great Canadians and fantastic Colombians and a whole lot of cool Texans, Floridians, and even a US couple living in Belize, to mention a few.

Hidden Gems

Leo from the Watersports Activity Hut was fantastic. He gave relevant information on the Protected National Park that included the water in front of the resort how to use it within the parameters of the rules and regulations. As an experienced sailor, I was allowed to use the Hobie Cat out on my own and enjoyed taking my wife out for some fun sailing. My wife also enjoyed the stand up paddle boards so much; we did it twice in one day. Our only regret was that the seaweed did not allow us to repeat these activities, as we very much enjoyed them. They have top notch equipment.

The table tennis equipment got a little action from us as well.

The chocolate croissants at the breakfast buffet was so good, my wife squirreled away a few in a napkin most days for a snack later on.

The Bad

However, with all that said, there were somethings that were left to be desired, and it was mostly in the food and drinks department. RM’s world famous midnight after party snack bar was missing the B in BLTs one night, next night they were missing the T in the BLT, another night the tomatoes were missing from the margherita pizza.

My wife was enjoying Carlos’s Mojitos, but the mint kept running out (3 days). Very disappointing. Also, Bailey’s Irish Cream is Bailey’s Irish Cream; not what we were served while being told otherwise.

The lunch time grill was never announced and within the first hour of opening, the meats were finished, so it was either a rush to eat or settle for the buffet. Many days several of us were left standing with empty plates in the line. The lunch buffet was also pretty good, but also ran out of main dishes before 2pm, including guacamole on one day (in Mexico? Huh?).

The Ugly

Well no easy way to say it, but… our room safe was broken into by a staff member.
How do we know for sure, you ask? Well, it was all caught on video.

My wife and I were trying to recall some timelines on previous trips, and were laughing at how bad we were at remembering some of these details. So I made a suggestion that we take a camera and set it up in the room to document the week inside the room, since taking pictures on the premises were not allowed. So I put it up on the first day but could not get an internet connection that would let me see if the camera was even working, as a result we did not know what view we had, if any. We left it, forgot about it and went on with our vacation.

Before leaving the room, we noticed a substantial amount of money was missing, but did not know where or how. We tipped during and at the end of the week, but could not have spent that much on an all-inclusive vacation. We could not accuse anyone but ourselves, since we always had our money in the safe. We never left any lying around. It left a bitter taste in our mouth, but we could not do anything more.

When we got home, I took out the camera to check what, if anything, was captured. Amazingly, it had been working throughout and took very clear footage. In looking around randomly, we saw something that looked very suspicious. We replayed it a number of times, and couldn’t believe what we were seeing.
A maintenance worker had come into our room the day after we arrived and made a bee line to our safe. The camera happened to catch the entire act, albeit at the bottom of the screen.

In some ways it was a blessing in disguise that we did not know about the missing money until it was time to leave, and more so about the theft until we got home. It allowed us to enjoy the week without feeling violated. As unsettling as the missing money/theft was, it was compounded by the unprofessional and terrible response from the hotel.

More than a direct reflection on the resort that a theft has occurred, is the shameful manner in which they handled the situation. And this management team did not handle it well at all. It has left us feeling further violated and mistreated. We did not expect this response after the wonderful vacation we experienced at their resort.

If there is enough interest on the details of the theft, I will write a separate trip report that could include the video of it all. It would be entitled ‘Gone in 122 Seconds’ cause that’s how fast it happened.
cbakid1

We are from: Trinidad & Tobago

Re: June 13th – 20th 2022: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Postby eddieandjojo » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:42 am

Thanks for taking the time to post this and so sorry that it happened!!!! Not your typical Desire experience, you should certainly press management further letting them know you have video evidence of the incident!!
Trip #41 - Pearl, Feb 2024
eddieandjojo

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 28 Mar 2024

Postby Cheers2US » Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:38 pm

I am so sorry this happened to you. There are people who say "don't bring valuables, but if you do, make sure to leave them in the safe! You can't complain if you don't lock them up and they're stolen!" Well, you have the obvious answer to that, sadly.

I personally have always been leery of these electronic safes. For one thing, hotel maintenance can easily unlock the safe, whether they have your permission or not. Also, there was a recent post on the Facebook Temptation group where a couple kept putting in the wrong code for their safe, but it would unlock anyway (they tried this several times, even after hotel staff "fixed" it)

On our last few trips, we have been locking up our passports, ipads and cash in our luggage, which has a combination lock. It's not foolproof, sure, but it would be hard for someone to pry it open and they'd have to know exactly where to look in the first place.

If you can post the video, please do. I don't know much about web hosting but I often use Photobucket and can upload pics and videos there.

I hope hotel management acknowledges their fault in this matter and compensates you appropriately.

May I ask, what kind of video camera did you use? Was it something that stayed plugged in the entire time and can stay inconspicuous?

Good luck,
Mrs. C
A mix of nervousness + excitement
Cheers2US
Desire Superstar

Will be at:  
We arrive on: 03 Jan 2024
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby canuck63 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:17 am

If management is taking this lightly and not to your satisfaction, email the GM the video and also let them know it could be forwarded to the local authorities if you wanted to. Maybe then, you will get the response from them you are looking for. This is definitely not acceptable and certainly should be dealt with by management, unless of course they would prefer it to be escalated to involve local authorities, no excuses. JMO
canuck63
Desire Devotee

We are from: Canada
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 26 Apr 2024

Postby werfun » Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:40 pm

Not only would I send a copy to the GM but also send a copy to the home office of Orignal Resorts with a note of what happened.
werfun
Desire Legend

Postby cbakid1 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:59 am

eddieandjojo wrote:Thanks for taking the time to post this and so sorry that it happened!!!! Not your typical Desire experience, you should certainly press management further letting them know you have video evidence of the incident!!

Hi Guys, we notified management of the theft immediately and that we had it on video. They were unconvinced and requested to see it. So they have had it from the very beginning.
cbakid1

Postby cbakid1 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:09 am

Cheers2US wrote:I am so sorry this happened to you. There are people who say "don't bring valuables, but if you do, make sure to leave them in the safe! You can't complain if you don't lock them up and they're stolen!" Well, you have the obvious answer to that, sadly.

I personally have always been leery of these electronic safes. For one thing, hotel maintenance can easily unlock the safe, whether they have your permission or not. Also, there was a recent post on the Facebook Temptation group where a couple kept putting in the wrong code for their safe, but it would unlock anyway (they tried this several times, even after hotel staff "fixed" it)

On our last few trips, we have been locking up our passports, ipads and cash in our luggage, which has a combination lock. It's not foolproof, sure, but it would be hard for someone to pry it open and they'd have to know exactly where to look in the first place.

If you can post the video, please do. I don't know much about web hosting but I often use Photobucket and can upload pics and videos there.

I hope hotel management acknowledges their fault in this matter and compensates you appropriately.

May I ask, what kind of video camera did you use? Was it something that stayed plugged in the entire time and can stay inconspicuous?

Good luck,
Mrs. C

Thanks for the concern.
So while we know the safe isn't foolproof, as we understand, there is no recourse for missing valuables if it is not locked in the hotel safe and is supposed to be covered by the hotel's insurance. We had additional cash with us due to our country's Covid Policy at the time.
Not sure about Photobucket. My intention was to post it here on the forum. I'm not sure how or if it is allowed. Looking into both options now.
The camera was a Wyze Cam V3 with an onboard SD card to save the recordings. It stays plugged in and was in plain sight.
cbakid1

Postby cbakid1 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:10 am

werfun wrote:Not only would I send a copy to the GM but also send a copy to the home office of Orignal Resorts with a note of what happened.

Good Idea, will do.
cbakid1

Postby cbakid1 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:12 am

canuck63 wrote:If management is taking this lightly and not to your satisfaction, email the GM the video and also let them know it could be forwarded to the local authorities if you wanted to. Maybe then, you will get the response from them you are looking for. This is definitely not acceptable and certainly should be dealt with by management, unless of course they would prefer it to be escalated to involve local authorities, no excuses. JMO

Certainly agree, none of this was acceptable. We will take your advice.
cbakid1

Postby ukusacouple » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:06 am

Did this all get dealt with? Would love to see the video.
SDC & Fabswingers:Kaleidoscopelife
RM 3rd-9th Oct 2024 & Feb 11th-18th 2025
ukusacouple
Desire Devotee

We are from: UK
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 03 Oct 2024
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC FAB

Postby Hector » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:41 am

This is not the first time I heard of guests missing valuables at Desire room. What a shame to the management who otherwise running an excellent establishment. I myself usually bring a small and study bag with combination lock to put in moneys, before putting the bag into the safe. So anyone wanting to steal the money will have either to break the lock, or take the whole bag away. Should consider putting the review on tripadvisor too.
Hector
Desire Devotee

We are from: Canada
Will be at: Desire Pearl

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Riviera Maya