Desire Pearl Location

This is the place for general questions / discussions about Desire Pearl

Desire Pearl Location

Postby mtgbnk » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:03 pm

Can anyone tell us if Desire Pearl is located north or south of the leaning lighthouse at Puerto Morelos. Is the location remote enough to allow nude sunbathing on the beach without a lot of vanilla traffic? Also we are staying at Desire RM from 2/25/12 through 3/5/12. While we realize Pearl is not opening till April 1, will we be allowed to tour Pearl if we make arrangements with the front desk at Desire RM. We have a group of 7 couples or so that would like to check Pearl out. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
mtgbnk
Desire Fan

We are from: USA

Postby CokeMann » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:07 pm

Pearl is not really much more isolated than Desire RM is at this point in time.

The new Desire Pearl (ex Ceiba del Mar) is located just outside of the northern town limits of Puerto Morelos (it is only about a 10 min walk from the town square to get to the beach in front of Desire Pearl).

Just to the north of Pearl are several large resorts - Dreams Rivera and Excellence Riviera, Sapphire, Ocean Coral and Turquoise.

From what I have heard, the beach traffic past Ceiba is fairly minimal at the moment but that will probably change as news gets out that Desire Pearl is a clothing optional resort and there may be a "chance" of seeing nude bodies on the beach.

Here is a link to a map/sat picture of the Pearl location relative to PM and the large resorts north of it,

As to a tour of Pearl you would have to ask at Desire when you are there.
But IMHO, since the property will be in a transition state, they will probably want to keep it private during construction/renovation until they officially open - but it wouldn't hurt to ask - lol
Please use the forum links to book directly with Desire RM, Desire Pearl or the Desire Cruises.
This will help keep the forums economically self sustaining and Ad free for all to use.
CokeMann
Site Admin

We are from: Canada

Postby Powderfinger » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:44 pm

The Ceiba-Desire-soon-to-be-Pearl is a big Trip Advisor topic, with the main complaint being nude folks on the beach.....

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g240327-i395-k5024993-Ceiba_del_Mar_to_become_Desire_Pearl_Resort-Puerto_Morelos_Yucatan_Peninsula.html
RMJan'08,'12,'16,'17Jan/Feb'09,'10,'11Feb'18June'13July'12,'14,'19July/Aug'10,'11,'15,'16,'17,'21Spt'09 Dec'18','19,'20
DPJuly'13July/Aug'18
Powderfinger
Desire Legend

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 11 Dec 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby mfay » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:10 pm

There is some very entertaining reading there ! Funny, isn't it, just how intimidated some people (almost all of them I'm sure are from the USA) are by the very thought of seeing naked people. Like we are a plague. Almost makes me feel guilty......
but I'm sure it is nothing that the first hour naked on the beach won't cure !
Seriously though, I doubt anyone "has to" walk the beach in front of Pearl to get somewhere they have to be. Undoubtedly there will be a big increase in beach traffic in front of Pearl because people will be curious and want to take a peek. There will be complaints just like there have always been from people walking in front of the original Desire but that had to have been anticipated before the deal was done.
I'm sure the "permits" required to allow officials to ignore those complaints have been obtained..............
Mike
mfay

We arrive on: 04 May 2019

Postby mtgbnk » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:12 am

After reading the trip advisor replies all I can say is WOW!
mtgbnk
Desire Fan

Postby jolesw » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:25 pm

Kinda makes you sad.....people don't know what they are missing and the amazing people you meet at Desire. :cry:
jolesw
Desire Fan

Postby shore128 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:08 pm

I'll admit to being the one that started the post with a very factual summary of the press release. I'm sure the news would have been posted on TA within days anyway. The responses have certainly been entertaining - plenty of judgmental and dramatic sounding posts. A few would have you believe that Desire Pearl will ruin the entire town of Puerto Morales. Anyway, its certainly becoming interesting reading for us Desire lovers! Our next trip to Desire Riviera Maya is the first week in March, and I'm going to check with the front desk to see if we can visit the resort while we are there. From both the official photos and trip advisor customer photos, it reall looks nice.
shore128
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 21 Apr 2021

Postby CokeMann » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:27 pm

shore128 wrote:I'll admit to being the one that started the post with a very factual summary of the press release.

Shore128 - the irony of the whole TA thing is that one of the destination experts who replies about matters related to PM is Puerto Morelos Frank - he and his wife(before she passed away) had been a well known long time Lifestyle couple. We met them many years ago at the old Caribbean Reef Club (a LS friendly small resort just south of PM - now closed) long before Desire RM opened and when his wife became terminally ill they decided to just pick up and move permanently to the PM area where they had enjoyed life so much.

Cieba and most other resorts on the Yucatan where sent staggering by the travel fall out from 9/11 and then backhanded from the '09 Swine Flue scare.

Without deep pockets and the marketing/discount capability of the large multi property chain resorts, the writing has been on the wall for all small (100 room) resorts.

IMHO Cieba's decision to go with up to 12 "Lifestyle" takeover weeks per year actually hurt them more than helped them. Regular "vanilla" customers started to consider other resorts rather than have to plan their vacations around the possibility of the time that they wanted being a takeover week.

Also the groups that booked these takeover weeks had to spend extra to provide on site entertainment, temporary playroom and extra security.

The rational look at it comes out this way
- based upon the low occupancy since '09 - the tourist benefit to PM from Cieba customers is negligible
- if anything the Cieba property being managed/run by Desire will probably result in a more of a long term "good neighbor" policy than Cieba could manage during takeover weeks when really the the resort was run almost completely by the takeover group.

Cieba financially was IMHO, probably on it's last legs. There were, in best case, only two options available to their management at that point:
- sell the property for a substantial loss to another owner(probably a large resort chain) that would just bulldoze the place and throw up a large new multistory resort right on the edge of quaint little PM - would have loved to hear the comments on TA about that one - lol
- contract the management of Cieba to one of two competing groups, both LS friendly, Original Resorts - locally owned and a good history of profitable resort management and a consortium of LS Travel Agents(the same ones that booked the Cieba LS weeks) with no history of resort management - I think you can all see why Original Resorts came out the winner
Please use the forum links to book directly with Desire RM, Desire Pearl or the Desire Cruises.
This will help keep the forums economically self sustaining and Ad free for all to use.
CokeMann
Site Admin

Postby bsakatm12 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:19 am

I read the responses on Trip Advisor and was taken aback a little by the hostility. But, consider that Cieba in its former incarnation was probably a special vacation spot for most of them, it's understandable that they would react negatively to such a drastic change. In their shoes, it would piss me off, too. It's not too different from what happened to us when Braco closed.

But, in my shoes (or bare feet), I'm tickled pink to have another choice - one I hope to soon take advantage of.
bsakatm12
Desire Fan

Postby bsakatm12 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:49 am

I read the TA thread again yesterday after I posted the above. There were a lost of posts that weren't there when I last read it. Wow! What hostility! It's not quite so bad when you realize it's just two people that think their opinion bears repeating ... again ... and ... again.

But, still, it reminds me of the rhetoric that homophobes resort to: "They're trying to cram their lifestyle down our throats." Jeez Louise! If you find something offensive, don't walk 1/2 mile, around the fence, past the warning signs, through the hedges, and past the security guards just to torture yourself as you stand, stare, and mutter to yourself, "That's disgusting."
bsakatm12
Desire Fan

ceiba

Postby coconut66 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:42 am

I made a post explaining why we like desire and "WoW" what hostility on that site they don't realize that ceiba's day's were probably numbered anyways because of low occupancy. If i was to own a resort in mexico i would want it to be the same concept as desire. Too much competition on regular resorts.
coconut66
Desire Fan

Postby CokeMann » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:21 pm

The best way to handle the "haters" on this TA thread is just not to post any further on that thread(you can't reason with them anyways) - then TA will close it for lack of activity.
CokeMann
Site Admin

TA

Postby coconut66 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:36 pm

Good idea! no more posts on TA for me. Only 27 more days till heaven!!!
coconut66
Desire Fan

Postby Powderfinger » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:58 pm

shore128 wrote: Our next trip to Desire Riviera Maya is the first week in March, and I'm going to check with the front desk to see if we can visit the resort while we are there. From both the official photos and trip advisor customer photos, it reall looks nice.

We just got back, and asked just that at the front desk. We were told no, because as of now it's still not Original's. If we were there the last two weeks of March they would bring us over.
RMJan'08,'12,'16,'17Jan/Feb'09,'10,'11Feb'18June'13July'12,'14,'19July/Aug'10,'11,'15,'16,'17,'21Spt'09 Dec'18','19,'20
DPJuly'13July/Aug'18
Powderfinger
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 11 Dec 2023

Return to General Discussions about Desire Pearl