Any Desire Cruise Review?

Discussions and Trip Reports related to Desire Cruises

Any Desire Cruise Review?

Postby avnemac » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:13 pm

Any Desire Cruise review available?
We are looking forward to book to the next Desire cruise on 2019 but would love to hear from anybody about the experience.
Regards
Desire May 2014
Desire Sep 2015
Intima Resort Jul 2018
Pearl Jun 2021
avnemac

We are from: Mexico

Re: Any Desire Cruise Review?

Postby razman » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:25 pm

On day 2 of the Barcelona cruise now on ship Azamara Quest. First comment is don't expect Pearl. It's not. The pool is not heated. I've seen zero people in it. Second, the two hot tubs have room for MAYBE eight people each. Nudity is allowed only on pool deck, sun deck, or playroom, and only while at sea. No nudity while on port, which is where you will mostly be. I've seen a few violate this rule but most abide. No sex anywhere but playroom or your own room. I've seen a few violate this rule, too, but most do not. About 600 passengers is a full boat, so the boat is big but not that big. It does rock and roll in the light to medium chop we've experienced today. If your prone to motion sickness this will do it to you. I'm not, but my wife is. She's out at the moment because of the mildly rough ride. Lots of talk pre-cruise about buying drink packages. Nobody could tell me what the cost of drinks straight up, meaning not buying a package deal. Here you go. Standard issue beer just under $6, standard issue wine just under $10. Wine served free at evening meal. Maybe lunch, too, but I've not done sit-down lunch. Soft drinks, club soda, tonic free. Two private dining restaurants for an added cost. Reservations needed. I've not been. Evening buffet is quite good. Open seating.

Any specific questions to answer? RAZ
razman
Desire Devotee

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl

Postby dlvixn » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:57 am

We did Venice and would echo the above. Just returned, last night, from RM.

The boat was nice, it seemed more people participated in the costumes at night, but that was about it for us. We never found the same rhythm that we did at RM, and Pearl previously. We didn't care much for the pool, which was cold, the hot tubs were tiny and not really used at night (or even available?), and the pool area was really, really loud, at least for us. Felt more like I would expect at Temptations. Sin room was a bunch of twin mattresses on the floor, separated from the disco by sheets, with LOTS of people standing around watching. None of it had the same vibe, to us, as the resort, but maybe that is the allure for some.

We decided we much prefer the set up and pace at RM versus the boat. We go to Europe and prefer to move at our own pace, spend more time in each city, explore the food, etc. RM, we just love the rhythm...
dlvixn
Desire Fan

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 19 Nov 2020

Postby razman » Wed May 02, 2018 6:31 am

Should mention that weeks out from departure Desire pulled a port off our agenda and replaced it with nothing. I complained, as did others, but, in short, I was told "read the fine print." So no replacement port. No compensation.
razman
Desire Devotee

Postby tan44 » Wed May 02, 2018 10:31 am

Thank you for your post.
We would love to read more about your experience as the days go (theme nights, special events, demographic etc.)
Kik : cancunx
tan44
Desire Addict

We are from: Canada

Postby razman » Wed May 02, 2018 12:27 pm

The entertainment is incredibly bad. The music selection at the disco is incredibly good. Participation in theme nights is strong, but there are no contests. The theme nights are dress up events. They're fun, though. I think they add to the vibe. I'd say the disconnect when comparing to Pearl or RM is the number of people. This cruise is sold out, which puts the people count at well over 600. The problem beyond that is there is no one meeting place. As mentioned, the sticker on the hot tub says "capacity 8", so the two tubs = 16 people, and above that is that the pool is not useable cuz it's not heated. Oh, the weather! It's been miserable. The last two days its been raining and barely 60F. Not Desire's fault, but I would suggest you consult the net for historical weather info for your destination and time of year. Ages? All over the map. The young set, saying 35 and down, mingles pretty much within their age bracket. I'd say they are 30% of the mix. There are a scheduled events. I see on today's schedule morning stretch, yoga, fat burning seminar, pole dance clinic, acupuncture seminar, and Amrita awakening.

Any other Qs?
razman
Desire Devotee

Postby tan44 » Wed May 02, 2018 1:00 pm

Hoping the weather will improve for all of you on the cruise.
Assuming most guest are Desire veterans would you say is the same percentage of Americans, Canadians, Latinos, Europeans as on average in RM or Pearl ?
Sorry to hear that Sete/Cap D’Agde has been cancelled. That would be one of highlights for us. Was it due to the weather ?
Kik : cancunx
tan44
Desire Addict

We are from: Canada

Postby razman » Wed May 02, 2018 1:51 pm

Hello to our fellow cruisers! Yes, the $150 fee for boat to airport is outrageous. I had signed up but cancelled that due to my annoyance with the cost. We used uber in Barcelona no problem. Also The net tells me about $75 to get to airport from cruise port. No, the Sete port was cancelled weeks ago. No reason provided. And, yes, this weather is standard fare for early May. As to the age breakdown, I concede to my fellow travelers. The farther I get from 30 the more everyone else looks 30. Since he/she states being 30, his/her estimation is likely accurate. We did the Fat Tire Bike Tour in Barcelona and enjoyed it. The Hop On / Hop Off bus tours have value. You get a solid overview plus the ability to get off at a point of interest to explore. On that topic, I am "churched" out. I do not need any more churches. Ha.
razman
Desire Devotee

Postby Wegottathing » Tue May 22, 2018 12:16 pm

We just posted our latest podcast, We Gotta Thing episode 50, which includes our review of the cruise

We pretty much agree with what's been said here. Cool rainy weather, not many opportunities to use the pool area, playroom was fairly nice but not managed well (no towels and no cleaning crew until it closed), entertainment was poor and not what we've come to expect from Desire but the disco and deejays were fantastic. Great time at "Oops" lifestyle club in Barcelona. Small cozy ship, great service, house wine was much better than at Desire due to the location of the ship and we didn't get the premium drink package because we knew we'd be off the ship a lot. Age breakdown: most over 50 (including us) but we did meet many couples in their 40s and a few in their 30s. Best part about the cruise: the people! We had a great time but don't expect RM or Pearl at sea.

Mr J
Listen to our Lifestyle podcast!
We talk about our trips to Desire on episodes 2, 11 and 28!
Mr & Mrs Jones
Wegottathing
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 19 Aug 2017

Postby avnemac » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:11 pm

Thank you everybody for your comments. Razman, so bad to hear that is not the same vibe from the Desire properties. Hope that this issue is taking care on the next cruises. Hope to hear from new experiences of this september cruise to Ibiza.
Desire May 2014
Desire Sep 2015
Intima Resort Jul 2018
Pearl Jun 2021
avnemac

We are from: Mexico

Postby glloyd » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:44 pm

So it doesn't sound as sexy as RM. Can't people go off under the cover of darkness to the deck and have sex. Will you really be stopped? Is there play at the jacuzzi area? How big is that aside from the hot tub itself?
glloyd
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 27 Sep 2020

Postby Joyful » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:57 am

I got an email with a comprehensive review from the swinger cruise... but I can't seem to post it here, maybe it's too long? Any way... here is the first part

On the last night of the Desire Mediterranean 2019 cruise I was in a conversation with Mario Cruz… Yes, the ‘It’s meeee, Maariooooo’ who also happens to be the guy in charge of the onboard experience for Desire Cruise. This is our Desire Cruise Review from the Mediterranean 2019 sailing.

I told him that this was the best overall experience I’ve ever had with a lifestyle charter on this particular cruise line. And I’ve sailed with them often.

To put that in perspective, I’ve been onboard the Journey or Quest a total of 14 times in the past 8 years. I am an aficionado in understanding in the differences that the special flavor that the various charter operators bring.

So not only was this my favorite experience with Desire Cruise – it stands out as the best overall on this cruise line.

What made it better?

That’s a bit of a complicated formula. Our Desire Cruise Review is made up of the following components:

The people and connections I make
The entertainment and onboard experience
Quality of the dining & drink service
Immersion into the destinations – ie: great itinerary
And completely out of our hands yet powerfully impactful: The Weather.
To get this conversational ball rolling… Do you agree with my list of the 5 things that make a GREAT cruise vacation? What would you included in your Desire Cruise Review?

Desire Cruise Review
I knew from the moment I checked in that THIS Desire Cruise was destined to be something special.
Desire Cruise Review Mediterranean 2019: The People & Connections
Undoubtedly the number one factor that I use to evaluate how much I liked my lifestyle cruise vacation is the people I meet and the connections I make.
Joyful

Will be at: Both Riviera Maya & Pearl

Postby cajunpin » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:20 am

JoyFull,

I agree with you 100% on the recent 2019 Mediterranean Cruise. We also were on this cruise-First Timers, and total enjoyed it. The ONLY item we had an issue with is the music they played in the lounge after the entertainment. Every night it was the same Bump-Thump music they play regular at The Pear disco. Even the disco theme night they started with some great tunes and after ten minutes it was the same bump-thump stuff and of course anyone left.
They need to get a better play list that's more workable with the age demographics of the people on the ship.
cajunpin
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 16 May 2018

Postby FreshnEasy » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:09 am

Anyone else going on the Mediterranean cruise in late May 2020? Let’s all hope for good weather...

Steve and Lo in the states, 50s :). Please say hi ^:)^
FreshnEasy

Will be at: Both Riviera Maya & Pearl
We arrive on: 22 May 2020
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Swinglifestyle

Postby razman » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:30 am

glloyd wrote:So it doesn't sound as sexy as RM. Can't people go off under the cover of darkness to the deck and have sex. Will you really be stopped? Is there play at the jacuzzi area? How big is that aside from the hot tub itself?

I can speak to the Quest ship. Two hot tubs on deck close to each other. Each hot tub holds 8 (eight. Not a typo) people. We were in the tub zero times.
razman
Desire Devotee

Next

Return to Desire Cruises