Desire RM Veterans. Would we like Pearl?

Check this section for info on Desire Pearl before you post general questions in the other forums. Someone may have already provided a great answer for you here.

Desire RM Veterans. Would we like Pearl?

Postby mplsnudecpl » Wed May 30, 2018 3:22 pm

We are Desire RM veterans (6 or 7 trips) and we even went to Cabo twice. Would we like Pearl? We heard it is more laid back and less of a party atmosphere. Will also be our first time not going in a group this September and we definitely enjoy playing when we are there.

Thanks

L and B
mplsnudecpl
Desire Convert

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 10 Oct 2018
Swing Site(s) we belong to: LL Kasidie

Re: Desire RM Veterans. Would we like Pearl?

Postby mandjinneworleans » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:49 am

You will love it. We think the rooms are better. We were at RM 5/6 times before switching to DP. We would have no problems going back to RM. In our opinion, DP is NOT more laid back than RM. Just go to the hot tub and see for yourself. Staff is very friendly. The only negative (at both) is the mandatory sales pitch.
mandjinneworleans
Desire Lover

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 21 Jul 2018
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby Gemini Rose » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:40 am

mandjinneworleans wrote:You will love it. We think the rooms are better. We were at RM 5/6 times before switching to DP. We would have no problems going back to RM. In our opinion, DP is NOT more laid back than RM. Just go to the hot tub and see for yourself. Staff is very friendly. The only negative (at both) is the mandatory sales pitch.

The sales pitch is not mandatory. We recently got back from our 14th trip and have never done the pitch. It takes a firm no, sometimes repeatedly.
Gemini Rose and Cowboy
Gemini Rose
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 11 May 2019

Postby TandD » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:15 am

Gemini Rose wrote:The sales pitch is not mandatory. We recently got back from our 14th trip and have never done the pitch. It takes a firm no, sometimes repeatedly.

Agreed. Never done the sale pitch. A few no's is all it takes. If necessary, just silently smile back at them as they repeatedly ask if you are sure you don't want to sign up. It gets awkward after about 30 seconds of silence and they give up.
TandD
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 06 Jun 2019

Postby Explorer79 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:05 pm

Last time, after saying "not interested" to all the perks they tried to offer to get us to sit through the presentation again, they asked, "what would it take to get you to attend". I said I'd do it for a free night which was quickly followed by, "here's your room key". It was all very friendly though, we knew they had to ask as it is their job, they knew pretty quickly we weren't going to do it, so both sides went through the formalities with a wink and a smile.

Next time though, when they counter our initial decline, I'm going to say "wait, I'm confused, I thought you just said at Desire one of the rules is that no means no?", all in good fun though, I mean, they're going to ask, might as well have some fun with it.
\m/
Explorer79
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 17 Oct 2019

Postby K and P » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:01 pm

Back to the original question: will you like Pearl? I expect that you will. We have been to RM four or five times, Cabo once, Temptations at least six times, and have enjoyed over 100 days at Pearl so we have a reasonable perspective on the various resorts.

The basic concept is the same as RM but the details are somewhat different. Pearl has fewer rooms but they are definitely nicer. The hot tub is bigger with significantly better in-pool bar access but some prefer the closeness at RM. The pool is also bigger but generally most people congregate at one end so that isn't an issue. One of the differences is that the night time activities take place in the lobby area instead of outside. We have always enjoyed the evenings at RM as long as the weather is cooperating but we have been there when it has rained or been cold and windy and it is definitely nice to be sheltered from the elements.

The disco is more active at RM. This one is not even close. The hot tub at Pearl is much easier to get to. We actually prefer dining at Pearl over RM because- with the exception of the Gastro Pub- you don't have to make reservations. If I feel like wearing long pants then we might go to the Pearl restaurant but most of the time we just wander over to Aphrodite. Fewer choices at Pearl but at least we never end up eating from the buffet.

The demographics are roughly the same but, quite frankly, it depends on the week. We have been at Pearl when the average age seemed to be 60+ and other times when it was much younger and active. We haven't experienced that kind of age range at RM but we haven't spent as much time there.

If I had a choice between one or the other it would be a coin toss. In some ways Pearl is better but in other ways I really like RM. I hope you enjoy your trip. We are going to be there the last week of July and it appears as if we will spend time at both.

Oh... as an aside. We have done the sale presentation once but we were at Temptations and said that we would only do it if they would provide transportation and a free day pass to Pearl on a Saturday so that we could attend yet another foam party. We suffered through the presentation in the morning and spent the rest of the day having fun.
K and P
Desire Lover

We are from: Canada
We arrive on: 16 Apr 2017

Postby Positive » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:02 pm

K and P wrote:Back to the original question: will you like Pearl? I expect that you will. We have been to RM four or five times, Cabo once, Temptations at least six times, and have enjoyed over 100 days at Pearl so we have a reasonable perspective on the various resorts.

The basic concept is the same as RM but the details are somewhat different. Pearl has fewer rooms but they are definitely nicer. The hot tub is bigger with significantly better in-pool bar access but some prefer the closeness at RM. The pool is also bigger but generally most people congregate at one end so that isn't an issue. One of the differences is that the night time activities take place in the lobby area instead of outside. We have always enjoyed the evenings at RM as long as the weather is cooperating but we have been there when it has rained or been cold and windy and it is definitely nice to be sheltered from the elements.

The disco is more active at RM. This one is not even close. The hot tub at Pearl is much easier to get to. We actually prefer dining at Pearl over RM because- with the exception of the Gastro Pub- you don't have to make reservations. If I feel like wearing long pants then we might go to the Pearl restaurant but most of the time we just wander over to Aphrodite. Fewer choices at Pearl but at least we never end up eating from the buffet.

The demographics are roughly the same but, quite frankly, it depends on the week. We have been at Pearl when the average age seemed to be 60+ and other times when it was much younger and active. We haven't experienced that kind of age range at RM but we haven't spent as much time there.

If I had a choice between one or the other it would be a coin toss. In some ways Pearl is better but in other ways I really like RM. I hope you enjoy your trip. We are going to be there the last week of July and it appears as if we will spend time at both.

Oh... as an aside. We have done the sale presentation once but we were at Temptations and said that we would only do it if they would provide transportation and a free day pass to Pearl on a Saturday so that we could attend yet another foam party. We suffered through the presentation in the morning and spent the rest of the day having fun.

We are going first time ever to DP. Never been to any Desire resorts. It was a difficult choice for us too , but what made us choose DP over RM is the beach . This was based only on the reviews and advice from the travel agent (Castaways). We have been told the beach at DP is more secluded , wider and generally nicer. And there is less traffic by public .

Is it true ?
Positive
Desire Convert

We are from: Russia
We arrive on: 05 Jan 2019

Postby CokeMann » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:23 pm

Positive wrote:We have been told the beach at DP is more secluded , wider and generally nicer. And there is less traffic by public .

Is it true ?

Right now ALL the beaches along the Riviera Maya are highly affected by the influx of the Sargassum seaweed - so definitely not the best beach conditions for either resort.

the beach at DP is more secluded

Nope, in fact DP is located much closer to Puerto Morelos and walking traffic along that beach is probably higher than at DRM

the beach at DP is wider

Nope, the beach at DRM is almost 50% wider compared to the one at DP - the beach at DP is however much deeper(ie from waterline to the DP pool than at DRM)

the beach at DP is generally nicer

Nicer is a personal choice opinion, so no comment ;)

the beach at DP, there is less traffic by public

Nope, in fact DP is located much closer to Puerto Morelos and walking traffic along that beach is probably higher than at DRM
CokeMann
Site Admin

We are from: Canada

Return to Frequently Asked Questions about Desire Pearl