Tearing down ocean view rooms? (rumor mill fodder)

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

Tearing down ocean view rooms? (rumor mill fodder)

Postby texascouple1208 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:39 pm

This is probably another example of lies and/or exaggerations by the member sales people, but a recent trip advisor review mentions that they were told Original Resorts is planning to tear down one of the ocean view room buildings at RM and construct another set of Desire Suites or something similar. Has anyone heard anything like this? We would hate to see them reduce the number of relatively affordable rooms.
SDC and Kasidie: twofrisky
Next up: RM July 7-11
texascouple1208
Desire Superstar

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 18 Jul 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC Kasidie

Re: Tearing down ocean view rooms? (rumor mill fodder)

Postby Explorer79 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:26 pm

I heard the same thing but was just rumors mill. How many ocean view buildings are actually available to tear down, 2?
\m/
Explorer79
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 17 Oct 2019

Postby NaughtyKittenandB » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:16 am

We've heard exactly the same rumor - Desire Suites have been successful and they plan to build more. We head to DRM on Jan 19th, so we will see what we can find out about their plans.
Bryan & Kelli
SZC, SLS: BandK6766
FetLife: NaughtyKitnandB
NaughtyKittenandB
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 16 Jun 2020
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SZC and SLS

Postby Explorer79 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:26 am

Granted this is a small sample size of only 4 trips, and could certainly be a coincidence, but every time we've been since the suites were built we've only seen 2 being occupied at any given time. Not sure what the normal occupancy is. At 4-5 times the price I know we won't be partaking any time soon :D

I wonder how much of this is real and how much is just marketing speak. It makes sense those guys would like to give the appearance that they are always expanding and adding new stuff, etc, ie add perceived value to sell more memberships, same thing with the mansion as someone was told "better to get in on the ground floor now before the process go up..."
\m/
Explorer79
Desire Legend

Postby dcnewbies703 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:29 am

Explorer79, your small sample of 4 trips (lucky you to have 4 trips since the Desire Suites were built) must not have been representative. We got some free nights in Desire Suites at RM as part of a membership package, and it's been very difficult to use them because the Desire Suites have been all book for many months in advance. I don't know if that's all folks like us who are using their free nights, but we've been amazed when checking their availability.

So while we don't have any information about plans to tear down another building to build more Desire Suites (which we agree would be unfortunate -- even though it would make it easier for us to use our remaining free nights), it wouldn't be surprising given their occupancy rate.
dcnewbies703
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 29 Nov 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC

Postby wedesire1 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:50 am

At breakfast yesterday (we're at DRM now), we overheard one of the sales staff say that they are going to (among other things):
Buy the property next to Pearl and double the size of that resort (that's a new one).
Build a new resort in the Dominican Republic (really old rumor).
Build a new resort north of Cancun for members only (old rumor with a slightly new members only twist).
AND (drum roll please)
Build a new resort for all of their California friends in Cabo!!!!!

In other words, "I'll tell you anything to make the sale."

As Cokeman says, until there is an official announcement from Original Resorts, it's just someone selling snake oil.
wedesire1
Desire Devotee

We arrive on: 04 Jan 2019
Swing Site(s) we belong to: C4P SLS

Postby Justskin » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:11 pm

wedesire1 wrote:At breakfast yesterday (we're at DRM now), we overheard one of the sales staff say that they are going to (among other things):
Buy the property next to Pearl and double the size of that resort (that's a new one).
Build a new resort in the Dominican Republic (really old rumor).
Build a new resort north of Cancun for members only (old rumor with a slightly new members only twist).
AND (drum roll please)
Build a new resort for all of their California friends in Cabo!!!!!

In other words, "I'll tell you anything to make the sale."

As Cokeman says, until there is an official announcement from Original Resorts, it's just someone selling snake oil.

Comedy gold right there!!

We'd certainly welcome the Cabo rumor, if only it were true. Those of us that utilized that amazing facility still yearn for it's replacement! Six years gone this coming June, hard to believe....
SLS = Yummy1s
Justskin
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 13 Sep 2019
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby Explorer79 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:12 pm

dcnewbies703 wrote:Explorer79, your small sample of 4 trips (lucky you to have 4 trips since the Desire Suites were built) must not have been representative.

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me. We had the same kinda thing with the sin room, was always empty, at most a couple or two in there. Then we talked about it on here and next trip went in there and it was packed.

What I need to really improve my accuracy is something like 300 more nights at Desire, and soon :D
\m/
Explorer79
Desire Legend

Postby Lkncouple » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:30 am

I am almost to the point where I hope they do something stupid like lower the capacity to build stupid high end suites. Hopefully then someone will figure out what a gold mine it is to have an all inclusive resort with mediocre food and dated rooms that they can charge 50% more than a comparable resort and build something competitive. The reason they can get away with the stuff they do now is they have no competition. Someone will figure out the guest really make Desire special.

That being said, I can't wait to be there in 22 days.
Lkncouple
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 19 Jan 2018

Postby Skulls » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:23 pm

We purchased our Desire Suites membership package back in Aug 2016 before they were built. I think they had just finished leveling the building that was there during that trip. Until just recently we have had no problems getting a Villa sometimes even for a last minute weekend getaway. They told us that there would be more Villas being built at some point since they have been so popular.
KIK: steve_sandy
Skulls
Desire Fan

Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC Quiver Kasidie

Postby Skulls » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:06 pm

Skulls wrote:We purchased our Desire Suites membership package back in Aug 2016 before they were built. I think they had just finished leveling the building that was there during that trip. Until just recently we have had no problems getting a Villa sometimes even for a last minute weekend getaway. They told us that there would be more Villas being built at some point since they have been so popular.

Apparently my post was edited because it had several comments about our membership.... I'll cut to the point. We have recently had problems with the Villas being available and we were told that they are very popular and there would be more built to try to fix this problem.
Skulls
Desire Fan

Postby NaughtyKittenandB » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:59 pm

We are heading to DRM in January for 12 nights. We booked our trip back in August. The villas were only available for 7 of the 12 nights we will be there - the other 5 nights, all were sold out 5 months in advance. So no surprise that they would move to build more of something that is priced at a premium and popular as well.
Bryan & Kelli
SZC, SLS: BandK6766
FetLife: NaughtyKitnandB
NaughtyKittenandB
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 16 Jun 2020
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SZC and SLS

Postby desireaddict » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:58 pm

We've been in the villas and do not see what the attraction is.
Why would I want to climb a set of steps everytime I go to the bedroom or need something from my luggage?
Why would I want a room that is "more private/exclusive" at Desire when (IMO) Desire is all about the socialization?
Finally, when I fell asleep in the villa, it looked exactly like the lower cost rooms.
I assume there could be a "snob factor" that makes them attractive.
“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body. But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming .... Holy Shit! what a ride.”
desireaddict
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 11 Dec 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: c4p

Postby Skulls » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:12 am

desireaddict wrote:We've been in the villas and do not see what the attraction is.
Why would I want to climb a set of steps everytime I go to the bedroom or need something from my luggage?
Why would I want a room that is "more private/exclusive" at Desire when (IMO) Desire is all about the socialization?
Finally, when I fell asleep in the villa, it looked exactly like the lower cost rooms.

We love the private pool and spend a lot of time in it relaxing and spending quality time together. We actually spend more time in the private pool than we do in the main pool. The stairs do suck especially when the floor is wet from the AC being cranked all the way up. Yes we can be snobby at times...
Skulls
Desire Fan

Postby Explorer79 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:50 pm

desireaddict wrote:We've been in the villas and do not see what the attraction is.

I could see it if you liked to throw parties, seems good for that. Otherwise, like you said, it's all about the socialization for us. There's just nowhere else we have been where you can have those kinds of interactions with lots of different people. In fact, if it weren't for that I don't see why we would even go to Desire, especially for the price, horrible waste of $$$ that would be, for us anyway.
\m/
Explorer79
Desire Legend

Next

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya