Postby jfvegas » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:17 pm

jfvegas
Desire Convert

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 07 Sep 2020

Re: mansion at pearl

Postby buried20kleague » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:25 am

Wow. Well... Color me surprised. A press release is much further than I expected it to go. Now we watch for them to move some dirt/sand, I suppose...
buried20kleague
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 25 May 2022
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie SLS

Postby werfun » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:00 pm

After reading that press release it makes one wonder how that might effect the regular resort for those that don't want to or can't pay for the high rates. On our first trip to Desire we stayed in a passion suite it was nice but not worth the cost from then on we stayed in a regular room for a longer trip. But there will always be people will to pay for something like that
werfun
Desire Legend

Postby RJOC » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:41 pm

We wouldn't want to stay in the Mansion and be apart from the rest of the crowd. Being out with everyone else and the freedom of the resort is what makes it a special place.

I understand others may like be interested, but not us. I wonder how well it will sell.
RJOC
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 24 Jan 2024

Postby tikihutguy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:09 pm

Interesting. I wonder how much uproar/noise/dust it will kick up for the surrounding rooms while underway :?:
tikihutguy
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 18 May 2023

Postby youme69 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:15 am

Can’t imagine paying big bucks for the mansion and having no view other then the back of a building.
KIK: sunsandcpl
youme69
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 03 Apr 2024

Postby eddieandjojo » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:46 pm

tikihutguy wrote:Interesting. I wonder how much uproar/noise/dust it will kick up for the surrounding rooms while underway :?:

Well, we are here now and can vouch for the construction....or should I say demolition that is currently underway. Very noisy!

In addition they are expanding the restaurant above Aphrodite so that is noisy as well and obviously in clear view of everyone in the pool.
Trip #41 - Pearl, Feb 2024
eddieandjojo

We arrive on: 28 Mar 2024

Postby Powderfinger » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:17 am

That release is full of "exclusive" and "private", over and over. The people make Desire what it is more than anything, and that just goes completely against it.
RMJan'08,'12,'16,'17Jan/Feb'09,'10,'11Feb'18June'13July'12,'14,'19July/Aug'10,'11,'15,'16,'17,'21Spt'09 Dec'18','19,'20
DPJuly'13July/Aug'18
Powderfinger
Desire Legend

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 11 Dec 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby werfun » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:30 pm

Not very happy that we are unable to make a trip to Desire until this fall, but glad that we might miss most of the construction going on. Who wants to go on vacation and listen to a lot of hammering and sawing while trying to relax in the pool. We went through that at DLC while the Hyatt was being built next door. At that time the biggest thing was the construction workers watching the people in the pool and hot tub.
werfun
Desire Legend

Postby buried20kleague » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:58 pm

eddieandjojo wrote:
tikihutguy wrote:Interesting. I wonder how much uproar/noise/dust it will kick up for the surrounding rooms while underway :?:

Well, we are here now and can vouch for the construction....or should I say demolition that is currently underway. Very noisy!

In addition they are expanding the restaurant above Aphrodite so that is noisy as well and obviously in clear view of everyone in the pool.

That doesn't sound good. This might be something to mention in a new thread so it doesn't just get buried as a comment that nobody sees.

It sounds like three issues:

1. Workers during the day, around the pool isn't great, plus construction noise.

2. Is the restaurant above Aphrodite still open during this construction, or is it closed?

3. Destruction/construction noise from the new Mansion.
buried20kleague
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 25 May 2022
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie SLS

Postby eddieandjojo » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:53 pm

While it was disruptive while we where there, the remodeling of the new Suki above Aphrodite is much needed and by the renderings it will be very nice with incredible views of the ocean. To answer the question above, no it was not open....it is a major renovation so even a small section of Aphrodite was closed off during our week.

As for the "mansion", the demo was loud and dusty. They took down two very large trees in the area which to us was sad. All for the sake of exclusivity to a very few of which they will have zero views and be isolated from 95% of the guests. We love Desire but I think they missed the boat on this one!

Our two cents....
eddieandjojo

Postby Explorer79 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:33 pm

eddieandjojo wrote:...all for the sake of exclusivity to a very few of which they will have zero views and be isolated from 95% of the guests. We love Desire but I think they missed the boat on this one!

Our two cents....

Yeah it certainly is counter to why we go to Desire. I wouldn't stay there for free if it meant I was more isolated. However, I can see where for others this would be awesome. It all depends on the type of experience you want when you go to Desire. I'm wondering if (demographically speaking) this is changing. I've seen small hints of it over the last couple of years, but I'd be very interested in hearing from people who've been going to Desire for 10+ years, what is their take is on how the experience itself has changed (aside from concrete things such as the pool was renovated or whatever) - especially for lifestyle demographics (which may seem to be shrinking percentage wise vs capacity?)

In the end the company's #1 goal is profit, which is exactly its reason for existing. Obviously they want to bring in more people and therefore more money. The question is how will all this change the experience over time (especially some of the other rumors that talk about adding more capacity). It's easy to think 'more is better' but I'm not so sure, sometimes that's actually the worst thing, especially in a situation like Desire where it appears to me they've been successful maintaining a careful balance. Whether things change for the better or worse is a matter of opinion, but they will change, nothing stays static.

I'd be interested in hearing from people who've been going to Desire for 10+ years, what their take is on how the experience itself has changed (aside from concrete things such as the pool was renovated or whatever).
\m/
Explorer79
Desire Legend

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 17 Oct 2019

Postby warmwaves » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:50 pm

Are they knocking down any existing buildings to make room for this "mansion" ?
warmwaves
Desire Lover

Postby eddieandjojo » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:06 pm

warmwaves wrote:Are they knocking down any existing buildings to make room for this "mansion" ?

Yes, it was behind the spa and used by the staff.....not by guests.
eddieandjojo

Postby warmwaves » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:02 pm

Thanks for the info. When we were at Hedo they were just doing the lobby during our week, which wasn't too disruptive, but month or two later it was the dining room and that was a major disruption. I guess people had to eat on the beach for a while. All in all though they finished pretty quick considering the scope of the project. Hope its the same for Pearl!
warmwaves
Desire Lover

Next

Return to General Discussions about Desire Pearl